Help need on Kohler Generator

Old 01-05-07, 07:00 PM
Help need on Generator phase for 120v-240v

I have a 1996 Kohler Generator. #5ckm21 120vac
Itís used for our motor home.
I have connected this to our house 200amp panel using approved cutoff switch.
It works fine off the panel.

Our well is ĺ hp draws 6.6 amps and is 240vac.

The manual says this generator can be reconnected to 120vac and 240vac.
Leads L1 and L2 are different phases and must never be connected together.
Here is my question.
L1 and L2 once they connected to each (2) 30amp breakers I installed on 200 amp panel for the generator wonít they be connected via the power buss together? Or do they mean L1 and L2 under one breaker?
Can't get support from Kohler as they are out of the small gen bussiness
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by JeffLG; 01-06-07 at 01:41 PM. Reason: make it a easier question
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 12:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your power buss alternates from right to left with every one, so your 30 amp breaker will have L1 and L2 automatically since it takes up two adjacent busses. Take a look at the buss set up so you will understand it better. Your Genrac will be wired the same way.

Old 01-07-07, 04:41 PM
Larry,
Thanks for the reply.
So what your saying is the generator will put out 240 vac 2-phases.
being I installed 1-double 30 amp breaker in the main house panel for the Generator That makes it 2 phase anyway? The quad 30 amp breaker (2&3 are which is on the bottom of the main panel feeding the well pump is on the same side as the 1-double 30amp for generator so it too is 2 phase?
I noticed on the well pump manual it's single phase at 240 vac.
I'm not questioning what your saying just trying to get this phase stuff correct in my head.
Jeff

Old 01-07-07, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by JeffLG View Post
Larry,
Thanks for the reply.
So what your saying is the generator will put out 240 vac 2-phases.
being I installed 1-double 30 amp breaker in the main house panel for the Generator That makes it 2 phase anyway? The quad 30 amp breaker (2&3 are which is on the bottom of the main panel feeding the well pump is on the same side as the 1-double 30amp for generator so it too is 2 phase?
I noticed on the well pump manual it's single phase at 240 vac.
I'm not questioning what your saying just trying to get this phase stuff correct in my head.
Jeff
I'm not an electrician!

1. All residential power, 120V or 240V, is single phase. One phase will give you 120V between L1 and Neutral, 120V between L2 and Neutral, and 240V between L1 and L2. There is three-phase power but it's usually supplied to commercial/industrial customers. I don't know of any two-phase power. So all references to 2-phase power in your generator literature seem to be misnomers.

Cheers

Old 01-07-07, 08:57 PM
Your power is not 2 phase. It is single phase. You are making a common mistake. You have 240 volts with a center tapped neutral. The neutral is grounded at your house.

You have two legs, each 120 volts from the neutral. They are exactly 180 degrees out of phase with each other when you look at the sine waves on an oscilloscope. It is a misnomer to say this is two phase.

Old 01-07-07, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Your power is not 2 phase. It is single phase. You are making a common mistake. You have 240 volts with a center tapped neutral. The neutral is grounded at your house.

You have two legs, each 120 volts from the neutral. They are exactly 180 degrees out of phase with each other when you look at the sine waves on an oscilloscope. It is a misnomer to say this is two phase.

So just to clear my mind.
I know the 200 amp panel is single phase in the garage,But the Motor home Generator stated to convert from 120ac to 120ac /240ac
I needed to do a few things at the generator like remove 1-jumper on the stator side of the existing 20amp and 30amp breaker then replace both with double 30 amp which they say will give me 2-phase.

Then they say never connect both phase togeather. So all of you are saying if I do the above and use the existing 30 amp double breaker I installed in the house panel going to generator all should be fine ?

Old 01-08-07, 04:32 AM
Your generator does not generate 2 phase power. It generates single phase power. It generates 2 legs of 120 volts each, which together yield 240 volts.

Old 01-08-07, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Your generator does not generate 2 phase power. It generates single phase power. It generates 2 legs of 120 volts each, which together yield 240 volts.
Great thanks for getting me straight on the phase.
jeff