hot tub install

Old 01-07-07, 11:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
block house wiring

I am getting ready to put in a hot tub on my back concrete porch. I was planning to run the cable through the dirt and I bought #6 direct burial cable, at the requirement of the dealer. The more I look at it, I think it will be easier and look better if I put the disconnect switch on the outside wall rather than running it through the dirt and up the porch post. The outside wall is brick over concrete block, with 2X4 studding on the inside of the house and insulation between the studs.

There is an outside 120V outlet on the outside wall, and to my surprise, they ran the cable down inside the concrete blocks, instead of between the studs and out.

A couple of questions: First, can I go ahead and use the direct burial cable, since I already have it? Second, which would be the best: try to fish it down beside the insulation or put it inside the block. It seems this cable is so stiff it might be tough to fish through the block.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 01-07-07, 11:38 AM
J
Jim,
It is forum etiquette to start a new thread, instead of responding to an old one, when you have a new question.

You can use that cable, and fish which ever way is easier. Neither way will be easy. You my need to cut a hole in the drywall inside the house in order to get the cable outside.

If it were me I would look into the possibility stubing the cable directly into the basemnt or crawl space, and then protecting it with pvc conduit up to the height of the disconnect.

Old 01-07-07, 03:56 PM
J
Thanks for the etiquette lesson - however, having used the Internet since the late seventies and the days of Gopher, nntp, etc., I believe I understand proper "netiquette" without any lessons.

The topic at hand was the proper and safe way to snake cable down a wall; my question was a different example of the same topic. You are free to disagree, of course.

In any event, thank you for your help. I will probably go down the spaces in the concrete block.

Cheers,
Jim

Old 01-07-07, 08:37 PM
R
I have split this to a new thread, because I believe that is where it belongs.

I believe that your question has been addressed.

I would like to add that you may NOT use direct burial through the dirt for a hot tub. Once you leave your house, the wiring for a hot tub must have an insulated ground wire, which UF cable does not have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: