Wire nut question

Old 01-07-07, 09:22 AM
Wire nut question

I have always twisted the connections with #12 and #14 wires. I like to see the connection and know that it is solid. When using the wire nuts how can I be sure I'm getting a good solid connection, just uneasy about not seeing the wires.

I generally connect 3 or 4 #12 and believe I should use the red wire nuts, is this correct?

Any good tips to ease my mind and insure good connection?

Thanks to all who have replied to all my post!
67lplc
(SW Michigan)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 09:32 AM
I am a fanatic about this too. When I first started using twisters I would tighten them so far that the plastic broke, till I learned when to stop.

I use my 5/16 nut driver for the tan and side cutters for the red. I learned to just hold all the ends even (or let the stranded stick out just a bit if one is mixed with solid) , cap and twist, then forget about it.

Since I have not gotten many call backs, I guess I am doing ok.

On the wirenut bag or box there should be a list of how many of what size they are rated for. I usually put up to 3 no 12 in a tan and four to six in a red. on the low side tans are good for two 14s but two 16s don't do as well.(

(the 16 are from doing controls work.)

Old 01-07-07, 09:37 AM
nap
I typically use stranded wire and have no desire to pre-twist. If using solid wire, I generally do not unless I have more than 2 wires and that is just to control them while I am installing the wirenut.

It seems many (if not most) of the folks here prefer to pre-twist.

There is no color standard with wirenuts so you need to consult the manufacturers specs as to the limitations of their specific color applications although typically a red from most manufacturers would be proper for your application.

The instructions on one of the brands I use does insruct to continue twisting the wires until they are twisted (outside the nut) a couple rotations. After twisting, I pull on each individual wire. If they come out, obviously the conection was improper. If they appear to be loose, I remake the joint.

where in SW Mi are you? I am from Niles myself.

Old 01-07-07, 09:43 AM
Nap,

Thanks for your reply, I'm in Kalamazoo.

67lplc

Old 01-07-07, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
There's no right answer as to whether to pre-twist, but I think tugging on each wire after the nut is on to make sure they're all in tight is a good idea.

Old 01-07-07, 02:05 PM
The old timers I trained with told me to pre-twist and don't put the nut on unless the twist would hold on its own.
Since then, I've done it both ways using common sense and gave it a tug to check the security.
When in doubt......pre-twist.