problem with lights/refrigerator

Old 01-07-07, 02:46 PM
problem with lights/refrigerator

My father in law has a florescent fixture in his kitchen that swiches off periodically. I checked the house breakers and none of them are tripped when this happens. I replaced the ballast and put in new bulbs which made the unit work great but after a few minutes the power still goes off to the overhead floresent lights without tripping any breaker. Now...the refrigerator clicks off each time this happens but the light inside the refrigerator stays on. Is there some kind of overload protection that the refigerator motor has that can somehow effect a light fixture? After about five minutes the overhead florescents will come on again. I don't get it. There are some suspect hanging lights above the sink that are a million years old that don't work. I was trying to replace a bulb in one and when the bulb touched the unit, the over head florescents went out. The house is about 80 years old.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 02:59 PM
just an off the wall guess, but I am gonna say that the fridge and light are on the same circuit, and that the circuit is not properly grounded.

Old 01-07-07, 03:32 PM
Thanks jwhite. So I test between the hot and ground on the switches and outlets to find a loose ground wire connection?

Old 01-07-07, 06:48 PM
Actually I am wondering why the lights would go out and then come on. Does this mean the breaker is bad and partially shuts off but then snaps back to on?

Old 01-11-07, 11:17 AM
I found there were actually two separated circuts that were having problems so I opened the panel and looked for a loose neutral wire or any loose wire. I couldn't find any. PG&E came out and fixed it. I am bummed. I never did find out what the exact problem was.