breaker box cleanup, is it worth it?

Old 01-07-07, 08:17 PM
breaker box cleanup, is it worth it?

I have a 100 amp main service panel, with three spaces left (one on left side, 2 on right) for additional breakers. I want to add 2 new lines. I cracked open the panel for the first time today to install a new ground rod and disconnected the old ground wire that was linked to the old water pipe (I am getting rid of the water line in that area of the basement). I had a lot of fun bending that 6 gauge wire inside a very disorganized box, minding those hot wires on either side of the neutral/ground bus. The neutral/ground bus is a mess, there are three tiers of slots, the front has one slot open, there is two spaces in the middle tier (partially blocked by the front tier and hard to get to), and a back tier that is completely impossible to reach because of the front two tiers and has three slots open. I noticed in several of the front slots, two wires are crammed into one space. My question is, should I try and reorganize the box, disconnect all the neutral/grounds, fill the back slots first, than front, or should I say screw it, and cram two wires at once into the slots I can get to like has already been done?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 08:58 PM
If your panel allows (most do) you can place two ground wires under one terminal. However, your neutrals are limited to one per terminal.

Old 01-08-07, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> I have a 100 amp main service panel...reorganize the box

What is the make and model of the panel? Approximate age? Any way you could post a picture?

Old 01-08-07, 12:19 PM
That's what I did

At my "Mom's" house in AZ. The lazy bum's grabbed all the easy ones on top. I threw the main breaker, and relocated the middles to the bottom, the tops to the middle, so now if / when I need to add 5 circuits, I can get to the Grd/neutral bars.