When is the best time to bring in electrician?

Old 01-08-07, 10:44 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When is the best time to bring in electrician?

I'm planning a major kitchen remodeling that will involve, among other things, significant electrical work - new lighting circuits & lights, new receptacles, moving existing receptacles, under counter lights, etc.

Some of the work (moving walls & beams, framing & drywall work, stone counters) will be done by contractors, and some I'm doing myself (install tile floor & new cabinets). I guess you could say that I'll sort of act as my own general contractor for the job.

So my question is - when is the right time to bring in an electrician? As soon as the new walls are framed up but before drywall goes in? What about for lighting - can I have him just run the new circuits and install boxes and leave the wires in the right spots for me to finish lighting installation?

Lastly, what should I expect to pay for this sort of work from a licensed electrician (I want everything done to code, permits if required)? Is this normally an hourly rate type job?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-07, 10:48 AM
R
The time to bring in an electrician, or rather several of them, is before you start. You want several quotes on this work. You want to discuss your needs with the electrician, and solicit ideas. You want to find out which electricians will work with you (allow you to do some of the work) and which will not want you to do anything.

Old 01-08-07, 08:24 PM
C
As for when to schedule them for work, after framing, plumbing, and HVAC, before insulation and drywall, and before or after paint to finish.