Hummm noise when light is dim

Old 01-08-07, 07:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hummm noise when light is dim

I am in the process of wiring my basement with 12 six inch recessed lights. I wired 6 of them on 650watt dimmersand the other six on a 1000 watt dimmer I noticed that when I turn one of the lights down it hummms, whyis this did I do something wrong. I still have a few lights to wire and I check that each light is working after I complete the instalation. The light that is humming is the last in the chain. Doest it matter that one dimmer is 1000 watt and the other is 650?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You can't exceed the wattage rating, and you didn't say how large bulbs you were using. Sometimes the humming can come from the area where the bulb base assembly is clipped in. If it is not secure, it may hum a bit. With the ring pulled and lights on, try pushing on certain parts that are accessible with an insulated screw driver. Don't, obviously, push on an energized area. Sometimes you can find where the hum is coming from and correct it.

Old 01-09-07, 05:31 AM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
Often it is the aactual bulbs in the fixture. The filaments vibrate. Try a different brand.