GFCI - Breakers or Receptacles

Old 01-09-07, 10:56 AM
GFCI - Breakers or Receptacles

Should GFCI Breakers or Receptacles be used for New Construction Kitchen & Baths?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Either one will provide the same protection.

Receptacles are about $12-15, breakers run around $40-45. Receptacles are easier to reset should they trip.

Old 01-09-07, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also if wired correctly a GFI receptacle will protect all devices further down the line.

They can be wired just for the individual location or for the rest of the circuit.

Old 01-09-07, 01:49 PM
Should? Code permits either way to be used, so there is no legal 'should' involved here other than 'use one or the other'.

As has been mentioned, GFCI receptacles are cheaper than GFCI breakers.

The most _convenient_ installation from the customer's point of view is to have a separate GFCI receptacle at each required location. If something trips the GFCI then it is _right there_. This, of course, blows any cost savings, and is also annoying when it comes time to _test_ the GFCIs.

-Jon

Old 01-09-07, 01:50 PM
jn
When I am trying to decide which one to use I consider which would be easier to find and reset if there was a problem.
If I am wiring a couple outlets in a kitchen and they are in plain sight above a countertop within reach of each other, I would probably just use the receptacle.
If I am protecting an outlet that a hot tub will use, and the plug is not by the hot-tub...maybe in the basement below it, I would use a GFCI breaker.
If the circuit bounces around alot protecting outlets in a garage etc, a breaker may make more sense.
Just my 2 cents...
There are hundreds of posts on here where someone has some dead outlets and doesn't know why... just to find a little reset button was popped somewhere behind a stack of plywood on a seldomly used wall of a garage.

Old 01-09-07, 02:16 PM
Smile

Thanks everyone!!