Did I do it right?

Old 01-09-07, 11:29 AM
Did I do it right?

Origonally both bathrooms in my house was wired to a single GFCI breaker. This caused problem especially when both my wife and daughter would be in the bathrooms using thier blow driers, the breaker would always trrip.

In the attic both bathroom were tied to the feed from the panel in a j box.
To fix the problem I installedanother breaker in the panel and ran another cable to the octagonal box in the attic, seperated the splice connecting the two bathrooms together and placed them on seperate circuits.

The main point I am interested in is that I did all this work in the one pre-existing junction box. IS this OK?

Jimmie

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 11:37 AM
Most likely. You are allowed to have two circuits in the same jbox, so that isn't an issue. You just need to be sure that you have two 20amp circuits (using 12/2 w/g wires - currently sold as yellow jacketed) feeding into the box. You could have fed both receptacles on one 20 amp, provided the lights and fan were coming from somewhere else. Just make sure that either the breakers or the receptacles are GFI.

Old 01-09-07, 12:24 PM
if you have two circuits in a box them MUST both be clearly identified and the box labaeld as TWO POWER SOURCES

Old 01-09-07, 12:38 PM
OK the cables coming from the panel were already labeled with the breaker numbers. Now I have a label on the outside of the box saying there is two power sources. Also there were labels telling where they go. I love my label maker.

Old 01-09-07, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
if you have two circuits in a box them MUST both be clearly identified and the box labaeld as TWO POWER SOURCES
Is this a code issue, or just good practice? I agree that it's important to label and document junction boxes to help others in the future (or yourself after you've forgotten), but is it required? If so, is a similar marking required for multi-wire circuits?

Thanks for the clarification.
-Mike

Old 01-09-07, 01:29 PM
There is no code requirement to label junction boxes as has been suggested. It is a good idea. A better idea (in my opinion) would have been to install a second junction box and separate the circuits entirely.

Old 01-09-07, 01:30 PM
It is in the code book somewhere, don't have the time to refrence it just recall it .

Old 01-09-07, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by burkej62 View Post
It is in the code book somewhere, don't have the time to refrence it just recall it .

The code book does not tell us what we do not have to do. It is not a design manual. It is a rule book. It tells us what we do need to do. So, if the code does not mention it, then it is ok.

The code does have several sections that require labels for more than one source. Equipment, Motors, Heaters, Control Cabinents etc.

There is no such requirement for junction boxes.