replacing a wall switch to one with red on light

Old 01-09-07, 02:42 PM
replacing a wall switch to one with red on light

I want to replace a standard wall switch to one that has a red light below the switch to indicate when lights are on.I want it to be on when power is to the load.I installed a seperate breaker and ran 14/2 w/ ground wire to a exhaust booster to my clothes dryer vent and realize my wife is forgetting to turn it on.I am starting to think these only work with 14/3 wire.Is this true?
Ran 100ft of wire through floor joist's and installed fan and to save my butt cant figure the correct wiring connections to the switch if it will even work with 14/2.Any help would be great.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 02:53 PM
If the circuit goes from the panel to the switch then to the fan you will not have a problem.

If the circuit goes from the panel to the fan then to the switch you may have a problem.

If you go to the big box store and buy a switch, the wiring diagram is very likely to be on the box.

Old 01-09-07, 03:41 PM
These switches typically require a neutral. This means that you either need to go to the switch first, or you need to use three conductor cable from the fan to the switch. The diagram that comes with the switch will provide all the details.

Old 01-09-07, 04:53 PM
You need a switch with a pilot light, not a lighted switch. A lighted switch has the light on when the switch is off.
You also need a neutral in the switch box. That means the power needs to go to the switch first not the light or you need 14/3 from light to switch if you go to the light first.

Old 01-09-07, 05:23 PM
what I did was run the power to the switch from the breaker box after I installed a 15amp breaker.Power wire (black) to one brass screw and black power wire to other side brass screw-this wire goes to fan.The white common wire from breaker I wire nutted together at the switch box location to the other white wire that is connected to fan motor.And the all 3 grounds wire nutted together inside wall switch box.
The switch I purchased is the one that has the horizontal mounted switch on lower half and upper has the rectangular red light that can be wired to be on when switched on or off.Just wondering since it has 3 brass screws and a silver for common.Is the black power wire just split as the standard switch and common , white to one side or do I need a jumper
Thanks

Old 01-09-07, 05:30 PM
On one side of the switch is there a factory jumper between two of the brass color screws?

Old 01-09-07, 05:32 PM
Follow the wiring directions on the box that the switch came in.

The neutral wires get pigtailed to the silver screw, and you make the output side of the switch be the side that has the two brass screws with the tab between them.

Old 01-09-07, 05:34 PM
There should be a brass and silver screw on oposite sides near the lamp.

there should be one brass screw on each side near the switch.

put the feed on the brass screw that is on the same side as the silver screw.

Pigtail the neutral (white) from inside the box to the silver screw.

Put the load black on the side oposite the two of those.

Old 01-09-07, 06:02 PM
thanks much to all. and yes there is a factory jumper on one side.I will work on tomorrow.Thanks again for quick post replys