Help!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-07, 10:29 PM
Unhappy Help!!!!!!!!!

I Have An Outlet On My Wall And It Is Getting Hot,i Dont Use It And I Was Told I Can "cap" It?,i Dont Have $ To Call An Electrian,can Some One Walk Me Through It? Please Help,lily

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 11:39 PM
Hi Lily,

Welcome to the forum.

Would you mind telling us more about the recepticle (outlet)? When you say it is "hot", I am assuming you mean that it is warm to the touch?

Is it hot all the time?

Old 01-10-07, 12:10 AM
well its the outlet in my bedroom,and when i say "hot" i mean "hot",i turned off the lite switch that operates it and it cooled off completely but now its hot again and i hear a crack'ling noise.

Old 01-10-07, 02:29 AM
Why is it hot again? Have you turned the switch back on? If you know what breaker this outlet is on turn it off immediatly. If you dont I would consider turning off your main until it is checked by an electrician or someone who knows what they are doing. Its better to be without power for a short while than chance a fire.

Old 01-10-07, 04:50 AM
Older inexpensive outlets with backstab connections have this problem often. There is only spring tension holding the wires in place, and when the spring weakens the result if a poor connection and heat. Turn off the power and pull out the outlet. Install a new one(not the 88 cent versions) but make sure the wires are under the screw terminals. If it is a 2-prong outlet, you much replace it with a 2-prong, unless there is a ground wire in the box. And for doing minor electrical repairs around the house, there are good books at home and hardware stores.

Old 01-10-07, 05:42 AM
Turn the circuit breaker of that powers this receptacle. Do not turn it on again until you have replaced the receptacle. You have a fire waiting to happen. If you do not know how to replace the receptacle, then you will have to learn or you will have to pay an electrician to do it.

Not having the money for an electrician will not be good excuse when trying to explain to your insurance company why you allowed the house to catch fire.

Old 01-10-07, 09:01 AM
Lily - Replacing a receptacle is a simple DIY project for most homeowners. Instead of providing a detailed step by step instruction here, I suggest a trip to your library. Most have electrical repair books geared to the homeowner. If they don't have one, head for Home depot or Lowes. Read up on outlet replacement in their "How To" book section.

From a safety standpoint, the important thing right now is to kill the power to this outlet and leave it off until the problem is fixed. Don't rely on the switch use the circuit breaker. After you've secured the breaker plug a lamp into the outlet. It should not turn on. If it does you've shut off the wrong breaker.

If you decide to replace the outlet yourself, post back here if you have any questions or need any help.

Old 01-10-07, 11:42 AM
The only thing you should be aware of is the tabs on the side of the receptacle. since this is a switched receptacle(possibly only hlaf switched) the tabe between the screws on the gold might be missing. Compare the new receptacle to the old one and remove any tabs to make them the same.
If both sockets of the receptacle were switched then the tab stays in place.

Old 01-10-07, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wink

I thought crackling and hot outlets are a normal indication?

I have a blue, arcing sparks shooting out of mine.

On a serious note:

Listen to these guys. Turn breaker off, get yourself a multimeter, and pull outlet out, test for NO power, replace.

It's pretty easy.