low voltage sometimes when using oven & dryer

Old 01-10-07, 08:12 AM
Wink low voltage sometimes when using oven & dryer

I have remodeled my shop into a in law quarters and installed a sub-panel in the pump house which is 125ft from the 125 amp main panel at the main House total distance from the main panel to the in law quarters is approx. 300ft. I have #8 wire going down to pump house and #6 going to in law quarters. The breaker at the house is 40amp ,and a 100 amp at the sub-panel. I seem to get low voltage [in the red on my gauge] when I run the oven & dryer at the same time. I am running a new water line from the pump house to the house and was wondering since I will have a trencher handy would it help if I increased the size of the #8 wire to #6 or even tie them together in a 60 amp breaker at the main panel. I'm a plumber not a electrictrician ,but know enough to get myself in trouble , that's why I'm asking for help. any suggestions will help. Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-07, 08:16 AM
300 feet is a long distance.

If you expect to get 40 amps at 240 volts at that distance you need 4 gage copper wires.

I suggest that you redo both cables. Make sure that they are both 4 wire.

Old 01-10-07, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm having some trouble following this. Starting from the main panel, could you describe where each subpanel feed goes, what size and type of wire it is, what size breaker(s), and the distance?

> when I run the oven & dryer at the same time

That is a lot of power to pull 300' over #6 wire; substantial voltage drop is expected. The only side effect with the range/oven is that it will heat up more slowly, however voltage drop can really shorten the lifespan of any motors. If the well pump is mixed up in all of this, then you could be doing serious harm to the pump motor.

> increased the size of the #8 wire to #6

Increasing the wire size is the only way to correct voltage drop. The question is how much does it need to increase. This will depend on the distance and the load. Please post back the expected loads.

> tie them together in a 60 amp breaker at the main panel.

You'd almost never want to tie any subpanel feeders together.

Old 01-10-07, 09:48 AM
My sub panel feeds;
Barn assort of lights and plugs and 110 v compressor 20 amps.breaker #12 wire
inlaw house- ovan-micro-dryer washer- aprox 1,000 sq. ft 30 amp breaker #6
pump-1 hp dont know amp -20 amp breaker- #8

Last edited by rons57; 01-10-07 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-10-07, 04:00 PM
Leave the 40A feed as-is to the pump house.

Run a 100A feed from your house to the in-law building, sized for the distance. Upgade your house to 200A or more.

Consider gas appliances in the in-law house.