Attaching romex to a steel plate?

Old 01-11-07, 11:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Attaching romex to a steel plate?

We are bracing an existing beam with two 10 foot long steel flitch plates. The beam has about 6 runs of romex that was stapled to it prior to putting the plates in place. I had to pull them loose prior to putting the plates in place, but now need to re-atach the romex (over the plates) so that it is securely fastened again.

I know there are some different types of adhesive wire "straps" used in electronics wire looms, but is that code acceptable for home wiring? Are there better ways of doing this?

There's a grainy photo at:

http://www.spia.net/stuff/flitchplate.jpg

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-07, 11:48 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Install a 2x4x12 on top of the steel plate nailed into the wood beam on either end and run the Romex along that with normal staples.

> adhesive wire "straps"

In my opinion these would not be appropriate.

Old 01-11-07, 01:36 PM
S
Excellent idea! That never occurred to me. Is that to code?

Old 01-11-07, 02:45 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bens advice is indeed "to code". The cables need to be stapled every 4.5' along the 2x4. Code requires the nm-b cable to closely follow framing members.... so thats about as close as you can get. You could use a 2x6 if you want a little more seperation. The appropriate articles of code that will support Bens advice are NEC art. 300 and NEC art. 334.

Roger

Old 01-11-07, 02:48 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Yep, it's called a "running board" installation.

Your original idea may be okay, as code is a bit vague as to what is specifically allowed to support NM cable. The way I read that section is that whatever fastening method you use, must be specifically designed for NM cable; therefore, ties or straps designed for communication cable are not acceptable even if they would do the job.

Article 334.30 Securing and Supporting.
Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers or similar fittings designed and installed so as to not damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 4-1/2'...

Old 01-11-07, 03:09 PM
S
Thanks for the great info. guys!

I will probably use some 1"x to keep things a little tighter to the beam. I only know of staples for NMB, but for curiosity, what other NM cable hangers are there that could attch to the steel? Who makes/sells them?

Old 01-11-07, 04:12 PM
D
Attaching Romex to Steel Beam

I looked at your picture. It appears that this is an open ceiling area. If this was my task to complete I would completely remove the romex and replace it with EMT. Note that it is not advisable to just cut the romex at one end and feed it into the EMT. The code does not allow this and it could cause the wiring to over heat and cause problems. I dont know what state your in, but in Calif you are not allowed to have open romex wiring such as this.
I hope this helps.

Old 01-11-07, 06:38 PM
S
NJ. Secured NMB is allowed.

There's 6 total cables (both sides) so that would be 12 junction boxes - something I wouldn't want. The area is going to be finished after all the repairs are made, that's why keeping the wires tight is important and why I was looking for alternative wire hangars, before commiting to adding the wire support wood across the plates.

I'm still open to alternatives to staples before following ibpooks suggestion...

Old 01-11-07, 06:49 PM
J
Ask for stack-its at the electrical supply house and replace the nails with metal screws.

Old 01-11-07, 07:10 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cable stack its from 3m and gardner bender are available from the big box stores can be more more convenient for diy in some cases than wholesale supply house.

google "3m cable stacker" for an example

Roger