Wiring Question - Would this meet code/be safe?

Old 01-11-07, 09:37 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Question - Would this meet code/be safe?

I'm looking to conceal the power cord for my wall mounted plasma, and plan to add an outlet behind the tv. Problem is, there isn't an existing circuit to tap off from. I was thinking of installing a standard outlet behind the tv, run romex down to a box near the floor, and then connect a male plug to that so I could then plug it into the surge protector with the rest of my equipment. I figure that I could make the connection to the male plug/cord within the box, add a faceplate and have the cord coe out from there.

Is this safe? Meet code? or just plain stupid?

Thanks

Old 01-11-07, 11:12 PM
D
So if I read it right you just need power to the area behind the TV? Romex out in the open is not code. Is there a room on the back side of the wall where you want to put power? As in a bedroom? If so is there an outlet that you can drill through and cut in a sheet rock box and install a pass through box? Another option would be to get a power strip that has a longer cord. I found a few companies that offer power strips with 15 ft cords, although I'm not too fond of them because they can get over heated. One last option is to use exterior flat conduit that you can find in a lot of the big home improvement stores. You can find boxes and 90 degree corners. It might not look the best, but it is code.

Old 01-12-07, 04:30 AM
R
This is NOT code. Put that thought out of your mind.

Install a properly wired receptacle or non at all.

Old 01-12-07, 06:06 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Macava - Putting in a new outlet isn't difficult. Look around to see where you can grab some power. If your house is built to code there has to be an outlet nearby. You may be able to tap an existing outlet and run the wire through a basement or attic. Drill a hole in the bottom or top plate and fish the wire up to your new outlet.

Old 01-12-07, 06:34 AM
F
They make recessed receptacles that were designed for plug in clocks of old. Lots of plasma owners have good results using them.

Old 01-12-07, 11:51 AM
M
what if I used something like this http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2034669&clickid=body_rv_img for the lower outlet(or inlet for this case)?

Basically trying to do this type setup.

http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/13695.html

Old 01-12-07, 11:59 AM
R
Give it up. Do it right, or not at all. Either properly extend an existing circuit with capacity for this unit or run a new dedicated circuit.

Old 01-12-07, 12:23 PM
M
This isn't necessarily wrong. The panamax kit is code compliant. By wiring an inlet described in my last post I would be doing essentially the same thing. Surge protection is important, which is why I want to go this route, not trying to be lazy, I've wired outlets before.

Old 01-12-07, 04:51 PM
macava,

Are you doing this on a floor of your house where you have no attic above it or access below the area where you would like to place this receptacle?

Running Romex down a wall in itself is not against CODE but what is against CODE is that it MUST be protected and doing so in the method you describe the romex would not be protected. Also you can't install male plug adapters onto the end of romex as you have stated...that would be simply wrong.

My suggestion is to see if you have the ability to get a romex up the wall from below or above the space in question and simply FISH a wire into the wall from an existing circuit ( provided you know it has the capacity to handle the additional item )

Now.....as for the Panamax kit...I don't think that is the problem here.....the intent is good....it is the method that is flawed I think.

By any chance do you have anything on the OTHER side of that wall...possibly a receptacle down low on the other side....

Now you say their is a box down near the floor...I will assume 16"-18" off the floor......why not use a cut in box up behind your TV and fish a wire down the wall to your receptacle that is lower.....

If you wish to undertake that I am sure we can talk you through that if that is an option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: