another gfci question

Old 01-12-07, 04:28 PM
Smile another gfci question

In my 3 year old kitchen there is a gfci on one side of the sink and a regular outlet on the other.

When I plug anything, even the tester leads, into the regular outlet, it trips the gfci.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I have replaced outlets before but not a gfci, and would like some advice. Where do I start?

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-07, 04:41 PM
Vincent,

Could be a fault within the receptacle that takes place when something is plugged into the device.....GFCI's are sensative to changed between the ungrounded and grounded connections...and if the ungrounded ( hot ) conductor makes contact with anything OTHER than it's known measurement path.......it could TRIP....

My suggestion would be to TURN off the circuit, remove the receptacle and replace it as your first step and see if this solved the problem...as this would be a simple .65 cent problem if that is the case.

Old 01-12-07, 07:15 PM
Did this happen all of a sudden, or has it always been like that?

Either the connections at the GFCI are wrong, or the ground and neutral are shorted together somewhere AT or AFTER the GFCI.

Old 01-13-07, 07:52 AM
another gfci question

Thank you. I will replace the regular outlet and see what's up.

I don't know if it always was like this or just happened. I just bought the place and found it like that.

Vincent