Outdoor lights and receptacles

Old 01-12-07, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outdoor lights and receptacles

I'm wiring up a new entry room, and pondering the best way to do it.

I'm planning to put two outside in-use receptacles in (one gfci, one downstream), on a dedicated 20A circuit. I'm then going to put inside receptacles on another circuit, receptacle to receptacle, then up to a 3-gang switchbox. From there, powering 3 switches - one for inside lights (cans), one for a couple outside wall-mounted lights, and perhaps one for outside pole lights. I'm tempted to put the outside pole lights on another circuit, but not sure if it's necessary, and would rather not. I guess my question is Ė should any of the outside lights be GFCI? And do the pole lights need to be isolated?

My logic for keeping the receptacles separate from the lighting, is simply that thereís more of a possibility of having a high-drain device on the outside receptacle, and Iíd prefer it didnít dim the lights inside.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-07, 06:35 AM
F
There isn't any code req't to GFCI protect typical outside house lighting, and most homes don't. I don't see any problem with your plans.

Old 01-15-07, 06:46 AM
R
The wall mounted outside lights are not an issue. The outside pole light might be an issue, depending on how deep the cable or conduit is buried. Provide more details and we can go from there.

Old 01-15-07, 07:19 AM
The pole mounted lights were installed by an electrician some time ago, I just need to change where they're hooked up. They're a direct bury cable, approximately 18" or so deep.