electric service

Old 01-13-07, 06:49 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric service

I am installing a 200 amp service to a new home.From where the power exits the meter can to where the circuit breaker panel is more than 6 feet I know I need a means of disconnect.Question to you does the disconnect have to be outside?Is it ok to run 4/0 SE from the meter to disconnect and 4/0 SER from disconnect to breaker panel

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-07, 07:32 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Combo Box

Check with your power company and the local inspector if you could use a Combination Meter/Load center rated for outdoors. The Siemens MC0408B1200RT model is the ringless type that has the through lugs for the protected 4/0 service to the sub-panel that will provide the branch circuit distribution. There are also four slots for breakers in the combo box.

Old 01-13-07, 07:38 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Last I looked the code required the disconnect to be inside nearest the point of entry as practicable. This does not restrict a disconnect from being outside, just where it is placed if inside. It also does not limit it to being within 6 feet of the entrance.

While many folks quote 6 feet or whatever, I know of no actual dimension of limitation. I would speak with the local inspector to get his thoughts on the situation. Since he has almost total local control, he may have restrictions or allowances that may concern you and your situation.

I would hate to spend a thousand bucks and have him shoot down the actual design of the system.

Old 01-13-07, 08:05 AM
J
Received 238 Votes on 209 Posts
The part of the cable that is outside the house does not count. The code only doesn't want unfused cable inside the house. I think in this case the disconnect could be part of the main panel.