Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

May have hit electrical conduit while installing chair rail

Old 01-13-07, 06:10 PM

Well I was practically all done putting it in and then one of the nails which went into the stud shocks me every time I touch the nail. What should I do? Is it OK to remove the nail and just let the wire be inside the wall or should I attempt to cut the drywall and tape up the wire?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-07, 06:20 PM
you need to open the wall and see what you hit and then go from there

Old 01-13-07, 06:35 PM
If you did hit an electrical wire, you may not just tape it. You will either have to replace the wire back to the junction box at each end, or install one or two junction boxes and add or replace a section of cable.

Old 01-13-07, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
If you did hit an electrical wire, you may not just tape it. You will either have to replace the wire back to the junction box at each end, or install one or two junction boxes and add or replace a section of cable.
Why so? I'm an electrical novice, so I guess I don't understand why simply patching a cable wouldn't suffice? Thanks.

Old 01-13-07, 07:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you want a risk of a fire by just taping it up? Specially in a area where it's at it would be a fire waiting to happen. Not to mention completely against the National Electric Code.

Old 01-14-07, 11:55 AM
Turns out I hit a cable going through a stud...and its about 3/4" thick and 1/4" wide, not sure what it is for. There is a receptacle about 3 feet below it and seems like its going straight to it. I only opened the wall about 3" by 3" to see inside. Looks like its time to call an electrician.

Old 01-14-07, 12:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree!.....

Old 01-17-07, 09:08 PM
You may want to invest in a stud/ac finder, I picked mine up for about 30 bucks and it finds every live wire behind the wall, has helped me many times.