Detached Storage Building Circuit

Old 01-13-07, 08:15 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Detached Storage Building Circuit

I am planning a new home with a poured concrete basement. I intend on building a detached storage building requiring a 20Amp circuit sometime after completion of the home. The house main service panel will be in the basement.

This is all preliminary and in planning phase......My question is.....

How or what do I specify in my request for bid so that I'll have this future electrical access to the service panel? I assume conduit down the wall from the panel, down thru the slab, a 90, then a conduit run heading out under and beyond the planned concrete patio where it will be capped and terminated until the outbuilding is constructed?

Can anyone tell me the specific parts/materials needed to do this properly?

Thanks Fairway

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-07, 07:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would not run the conduit out of the basement under ground level. I would leave the basement above ground, then turn down into the outdoor couduit run.

Water can leak in around or inside the conduit. If you do leave the basement below grade, there is no need to go more than the required burial depth 16 inches by national code for PVC.

It should be enough to spec that you want a spare conduit from the panel to a certain location with pull string. You can then leave the details to the electrical contractor and builder to work out.

Give some carefull consideration as to what you will be using your shed for. Your current seedling plans may bloom and all of a sudden your conduit is too small. It may even be a good idea now to up the conduit size. The cost difference will be minimal at this phase of the game.

I would consider a 1 1/4 pvc for the electrical and a 1 for phone/cable. If it is even concieveable that you will be using the shed as a shop in the future.

If it is just going to be a small shed and storage only ever, then a 3/4 pvc should be enough.

I would also run the pvc into a ground box now. This way you will always know where it is. You can remove the ground box later when you build the shed, or use it as a pull point.