water heater: direct wire, or, pigtail

Old 01-14-07, 01:35 PM
water heater: direct wire, or, pigtail

Can I use a pigtail cord(I'm assuming that's what it's called, like on a range or a dryer,) to wire my hot water heater? I want to use a recessed receptacle. Or, do I HAVE to direct wire it? If direct wire, can I use a recessed box, and run a cord from the water heater, through some sort of cover plate on the recessed box?If pigtail is ok, 30a or should I go higher, 50a. If I use a pigtail chord, I would hook up the hots, ground, and just cap off the nuetral wire for now. Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-07, 01:59 PM
Hard wire the water heater.

Old 01-14-07, 03:04 PM
Wink

Id check code there where you are first. See what they call for

Old 01-14-07, 03:37 PM
Thanks!! racraft, when I hard wire, can I use a recessed box and go in through the front, through some kind of cover plate? I know that many times, a metal box is used, not recessed, screwed to the wall or floor, and a knockout is punched out in the side of the box, using a clamp for the cable, and using a solid plate for the front of the box. I want to recess though. Is that possible? Thanks.

Old 01-14-07, 06:03 PM
You can purchase a blank cover for a metal box with center knockout or you can purchase a blank cover and make your own knockout hole. Be aware that the hot water heater will be a continuous load if it is a storage type holding 120 gal. or less and will require a 25% increase in ampacity for the wire above nameplate wattage. You also need to provide a disconnect for the heater this can be as simple as a listed switch located close to the heater and within sight, the circuit breaker if within sight of the heater.... or if not in sight the heater circuit breaker can be used for the disconnect if you provide a lockout means to lock the circuit breaker in the open/off position.

If you give us the make and model and the nameplate information for wattage and or amperage we can tell you what it requires.

Roger

Old 01-15-07, 08:27 AM
jn
Just wondering if there is a reason to push for hard wiring the unit instead of using a cord?
We have been experiencing a LOT of power outages this year and many people have been rewiring putting cords on furnaces, water heaters etc.
It makes running the extension cords from the generators a quick option.

Old 01-15-07, 08:30 AM
The poster is asking about making a cord and plug for a 240 volt water heater.