what amps for home theater and computer receptacle

Old 01-14-07, 02:58 PM
what amps for home theater and computer receptacle

As some of your guys know that I am in the process of adding new wiring and upgrading service to 200 amps..

Electrician is ready to wire the media room/office. Should he go with 15 or 20 amps receptacles.. should i have one dedicated receptacle for HDTV? what amps should be the computer receptacle.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-07, 03:45 PM
You want 20-amp spec-grade receptacles. Some request isolated ground, but that makes little sense for residential. However, a dedicated circuit would be in order.

As you're upgrading your service, consider a whole-house surge supressor there and at the home theater.

Old 01-14-07, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Fubar411 View Post
You want 20-amp spec-grade receptacles. Some request isolated ground, but that makes little sense for residential. However, a dedicated circuit would be in order.

As you're upgrading your service, consider a whole-house surge supressor there and at the home theater.
I am considering to install a whole house surge protector as well.
I went to a local electric supply store...guy suggested Intermatic IG1240RC for $85 and Surge Trap ($300- protects via electric, cable and phone)...are these good choices? Can you guys recommend some good ones...

are spec grade receptacles different from standard ones?

Last edited by christy123; 01-14-07 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no reason to install 20 amp receptacles for a home theater. None of the equipment plugged in will need that configuration.

Old 01-14-07, 08:21 PM
You do want dedicated 20 amp circuits for the computer and home theater, but you can use good quality 15 amp duplex receptacles.

In my opinion, all of your receptacles circuits should be 20 amp circuits. Lighting can be 15 or 20 amp circuits, whichever makes sense.

Old 01-14-07, 10:20 PM
so one 20 amps receptacle for HDTV + AVreceiver etc...or do I need one for HDTV and other for AV receiver?

Can PC /fax/ large printer go on a separate 20 amps receptacle together?

thanks

Old 01-15-07, 04:22 AM
You can run as many circuits as you want or as few as you want for all of these loads. You could put one device per circuit if you want.

I recommend one circuit serving the home theater, one circuit serving the computer, and at least one for everything else.

Old 01-15-07, 05:51 AM
ok..thanks...appreciate your help