Abandoned wiring

Old 01-15-07, 08:36 AM
Question Abandoned wiring

I got involved in a wiring project, and of course it became a monster. I believe the guy that started this project, and never came back abandoned the wiring by the back door. The wires are still hot, but do not work the kit. lights. He pulled wire to a new box. The problem comes in that you cannot turn the kit. lights from the back door. I am some what confused how to wire a 3 way sw. to the new power source. would you run a 14-3 from new box, over to the old box, and try and wire-nut the old wiring in a junction box in the attic?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-07, 08:45 AM
What I would depends on exactly what is availablehave to work with. You have not made that clear at all.

Why don;t you tell us exactly what you have, being as explicit as possible, and we can go from there

Old 01-15-07, 10:08 AM
Question abandoned wiring

At the old box I have a pair of blacks that power the out side light at the back door, and these work independent of other wires in box. I also have a white and a black that are loose these look like a pair of 14-2 not hot, and I have one red that is hot. At the new box he has pulled one 14-3 out side to supply power to the new box. I do not know why he did not pull a 14-2 to make his home run. In the new box he has about five lines
1, power 14-3
2, smoke det 14-2 power
3, can lights for kit
4, ?
5, ?
have not figured out what the other lines are for yet. I need to know how to wire a three way over to the old box to get light in the kit when you come in the back door?

Old 01-15-07, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry, I still do not follow you.

How many junction boxes? What cables enter/exit each junction box? What wires are in those cables? What devices are in those boxes? How are any and all of the wires connected in each box?

Old 01-15-07, 10:47 AM
abandoned wiring

There are a lot of unknowns to me at this time, i do know they use some junction boxes to bring power in and then branched off. This is one of those old houses that you can just stand up in at the center of the attic, so I may never know everything about this project. what I have told you is all I know at this time. Knowing what you know now how would you power a 3 way at the new box?

Old 01-15-07, 10:52 AM
I do not have enough information to understand what you have and don't have. You are not supplying enough information.

Old 01-16-07, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
In the end it may be quicker and simpler to abandon any wires you can't figure out and start from scratch. Even that though will require figuring out where to disconnect the wires to de-energize them.

Determine what breakers supply them and any working circuits you wish to keep on the breaker. Hopefully the mystery wires come from one of these boxes and can be disconnected at that point. Any disconnected wires must be be pushed out of the box so they can not be accidentally energized.

Then map out what you want to do, if you haven't read a book on wiring, and post back any questions you have.