running 220 to my garage/workshop?

Old 01-17-07, 02:01 PM
running 220 to my garage/workshop?

i have a woodshop set up in my garage with a tablesaw, planer, jointer, dust collector, 4 shop lights, 2 fans and when necessary a small heater. all this is on one 15amp circuit and i keep tripping the breaker.

is there a simple way to run more power to my shop? i guess i'm asking if i can do this myself, with very little electrical experience. the breaker box is on the side of my house about 30 feet from my garage, and i can see where the wires run into a conduit underground- can i fish the wires out and then pull more wire back through the conduit to my garage? and then add another breaker to my existing wiring?

thanks for any and all help- and sorry about the newbie questions

staticman

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-07, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> all this is on one 15amp circuit and i keep tripping the breaker.

As you have found out, this circuit is way overloaded.

> is there a simple way to run more power to my shop? i guess i'm asking
> if i can do this myself, with very little electrical experience.

It may be something you can do. Reading a couple books about home wiring is a great place to start. We can provide guidance, but there is no substitute for learning. Have a look at the book "Wiring Simplified"; it's usually available at the big box stores for around $10.

> can i fish the wires out and then pull more wire back through the conduit
> to my garage? and then add another breaker to my existing wiring?

Probably. You first have to verify that the conduit is continuous underground; sometimes just the vertical run is in conduit and the rest is directly buried. If the wires in the conduit are individual and not a cable assembly, the conduit is likely continuous. Second, identify the size of the conduit to determine the largest new wires you can install.

Post back a few details, and we can give you more information as to the scope of the project. Also, if you could post the power requirements of your tools (in watts or HP and the operating voltage) we can help you decide if you need a 20A multi-wire circuit or a subpanel.