Electric Bill seems high

Old 01-17-07, 08:17 PM
Electric Bill seems high

My wife and I just built a new home in upstate NY. It is energy star rated and we just moved in at beginning of December. I just got the G&E bill for December and its 300.00 bucks. They said I used 932kwh of electricity for the month. That seems awful high to me. The gas portion seems to be right on. Its the electric that has me puzzled. Our house is about 2300 square feet. We have one room we don't even use because it is unfinished. We didn't have many xmas lights up this year and I really don't think there was anything we did to use that much electric. My question centers around anything that might be amiss with the wiring or anything else that may have led to a high reading. In our old home, in the middle of summer with three ACs constantly running, at max we used about 500 kwh. Something just seems out of place.

TY163

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-07, 08:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you asked them to come check the meter again? This happened to me once, and they didn't scan the meter right.

Old 01-18-07, 02:27 AM
Hi. Was just looking at my electricity bill... I'm in Canada, so the bill is for two months. With three people living here in a 2400 s.f. house, the bill was $258 for the two months. However, our kWh was much higher than yours. We have oil heat, and still our consumption was 3735 kwh for the two months.

Just curious - but wondering what you pay per kwh. Here it's 0.06330/kwh.

Old 01-18-07, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Mark. As soon as you get your bill each month, go outside and look at the meter reading to see if it is within limits. Of course you will have used a little since the POCO read the meter, but you can tell if it is 400 kwh off or not. Ours are read by electronic transmitters, and my feeling is, since they are only driving down the road/driveway with an antenna hanging out the car, they may or may not be reading my meter (I don't trust technology that much). So when the bill comes in, I check the meter.

Old 01-18-07, 06:34 AM
gsr
TIme Frame...

Another thing to check is the Bill just for December or are you now getting the bill for electricity used while building the house since the meter was probably installed a month or more before you moved in. Check the cycle start date on the bill.

Either way I'd call your power co. and ask about it they should be able to help you.

Old 01-18-07, 06:43 AM
Hello, At the company I work for we use automated meters..If for some reason there is a bad signal the system will estimate a read and then correct it on next bill. Do you know if your meter is automated?

Old 01-18-07, 07:44 AM
jn
The bill may have been estimated and they typically estimate high...check and record the actual meter readings yourself. If you don't know how to read your meter the power company usually can send you a guide for your particular type of meter.
I suggest that you check and record the readings daily (around the same time each day) for a while and see your actual consumption.

Old 01-18-07, 08:15 AM
If the meter was read high it will adjust on your next bill. You will get a low bill since it will show lower usage.
Electric wires won't use power. There is almost nothing that could be wired wrong to cause a high bill except if some device(underfloor heat, roof de-icers, stuck sump pump) was not turning off when it should. It could be a buried cable to an outbuilding or a light post that is knicked and is leaking power into the ground.

Old 01-18-07, 08:37 AM
What type of heating system was installed?

Old 01-18-07, 09:18 AM
932 kwh doesn't seem like much to me. I have a 14 x 70 mobile home with natural gas heat, range and dryer. From 11/11 to 12/13 I used 1,035 kwh and the bill, including taxes and fees, was $79.97.

The rate over 350 kwh is .07218 per kwh.

Unless you have some outrageous rate per kwh there must be a install/hookup fee in there. I'd look over your bill again.

Old 01-18-07, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
932 kwh doesn't seem like much to me. I have a 14 x 70 mobile home with natural gas heat, range and dryer. From 11/11 to 12/13 I used 1,035 kwh and the bill, including taxes and fees, was $79.97.

The rate over 350 kwh is .07218 per kwh.

Unless you have some outrageous rate per kwh there must be a install/hookup fee in there. I'd look over your bill again.
wow im jealous...here in new york city 943 khw last month cost...180.58
1-250 khw = 17.684 cents
251+= 17.2554 cents
i wish we could find a way to box and fedex electricity,i would buy from yous.and leave my pond running all year,a long with my airconditioner...lol...

Old 01-18-07, 10:34 AM
Talking

Have you checked for a leak in the home. i find that is the first thing to do when a person say they have a high electric bill. Turn every thing off in the home and look at the meter see if it turns. If it does turn, first turn off the main if it dont turn then . Turn it on and turn all the breakers off . Then turn one at a time on and see if the meter runs with just that one . If so why , whats on it

Now for Bills I have a 1300sq ft home. all electric .With heatpump for heat. 12/05 to 1/08/07 1015Kwh bill was $61.78
Had lot of Xmass lights out side and inside side. I did do the lights in the new LED xmass lights

Old 01-18-07, 10:54 AM
Geez....I've always thought that my electric bill was high, and it seems like it is compared to everyone elses...

My home total is about 2200 square feet. It is all electric, with a heat pump that works fine. There are 4 of us living here. Through the week, there is no one home from 07:00 am until 4:00 pm. I live in Kentucky.

In the month of December I used 5800 kWh. I don't have anything abnormal in my house that uses a lot of electricity. Just the basic stuff that everyone else has.

How are you guys getting by with 500 - 2000 kWh?

hcii

Old 01-18-07, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by hcii View Post
In the month of December I used 5800 kWh.

hcii
That is an average continuous draw of 8000 watts, 24 hours a day, every day. If that power was all being used on 120 volt loads (an incorrect assumption, obviously), that's an average continuous draw of 67 amps. Even with an all-electric home, that sounds WAY out there. As to the OP, the rate based on his bill and usage is greater than $ .30/kwh, which sounds awfully high.

Old 01-18-07, 12:17 PM
HCII, in the winter when you're heating, do you set back the thermostat while you're gone or in bed? With a heat pump, if you raise the thermostat more than a degree or two, it kicks in the emergency strip heat, which will certainly raise your electric bill. With most heat pump systems, the experts tend to recommend that you set the thermostat and forget it, as it costs more to raise the temperature using the "emergency" strip heaters than leaving the temperature at the same point all day. Also, if your power company has you on a "demand meter", this will make running the strip heaters even more expensive.

I have a 2300 sq foot house in NE Kansas, and although I have gas heat and water heater, everything else is electric. In the winter, I usually get by on 400-500 KWH. Even in the summer, with the A/C running at 76 degrees, my bill rarely will exceed 1200 KWH.

Old 01-18-07, 02:22 PM
QUOTE:
HCII, in the winter when you're heating, do you set back the thermostat while you're gone or in bed?

Nope. Thermostat stays on 70 degrees the year round. For instance....I read my meter last night at 4 PM, and then today at 4 PM.

Yesterday: 10501
Today: 10744
24 hour usage: 243 kWh

Temp last night was 24, most of the day today was 35-41 degrees. However, my thermostat tells me that the HP ran for 9 hours, 32 minutes. NONE of that was aux heat (thermostat tells that as well). So...if my HP draws roughly 3.5 kW at 30 degrees, running almost 10 hours would be 35 kWh. Where in the heck did I use the other 200+? As a matter of fact, everyone left here at 7 AM this morning, and there was no one here until 3:45 PM.

Electric company has been here with a recorder and have checked everything else they could think of. They say that 5000+ in the wintertime in this area, for a house my size, is not unusual. After seeing other figures here, I'm beginning to wonder.

If it wasnt wintertime, I would turn every breaker off except for one 100 watt bulb for 24 hours and see if the meter showed 2.4 kWh......

hcii

Old 01-18-07, 04:31 PM
You might want to do a search for "kill-a-watt." I ordered one that will arrive tomorrow, just curious to see how much juice different things draw.

On a lighter side:

>>> How are you guys getting by with 500 - 2000 kWh? <<<

Get rid of the other 3 people and get a dog. ;<}

Baldwin

Old 01-18-07, 05:22 PM
Just got my bill the other day...

This month : 2584 - 74 kwh/day (35 billing days)
Last month : 2442 - 76 kwh/day (32 billing days)
Last year : 2234 - 70 kwh/day

That makes it $265 for the month, which includes a $10 fee for being a customer, and about $7 for a street light.

Averages out to about $0.11 / kwh, with taxes/fees/etc.

Our usage is fairly consistent unless we get some really nice weather and I don't have to run the heat/ac for a few days.

2400 sq ft in Northwest Florida, heat pump, all electric except stove which is gas, 3 people + regular guests.

Last edited by Pendragon; 01-20-07 at 05:39 AM. Reason: mathematical brain fart
Old 01-18-07, 07:56 PM
WFO
Originally Posted by ty163 View Post
In our old home, in the middle of summer with three ACs constantly running, at max we used about 500 kwh.

TY163

I'm more inclined to think your old meter was awfully slow rather than the new one being fast.

Old 01-18-07, 08:37 PM
Well, I may irritate a few people with this.

My last electric bill was for $61.65 (includes $3.49 in taxes). 68 days usage at 8.007 cents/kwh or a total of 726 kilowatthours. This breaks down to an average of 11 kwh per day.

My house is about 1,550 square feet and I have gas heat and hot water. Everything else is electric and I seem to often have the television on for hours while playing with the computer.

BTW, my utility has one of, if not the highest, rates in Washington state.

Old 01-18-07, 09:38 PM
ontario canada here...everything is electric...in ground water furnace...electric hot water heater...live in the country so i have a deep well water pump...my bills are normally about 1100 KWh so i guess in comparison i am not doing to bad

Old 01-19-07, 12:07 AM
Smile

TY163, I too live in upstate NY near VT border (5 miles) My power company is NYSEG and they do estimates every other month. It also depends on what "plan" you choose ie. fixed rate w delivery charge or varible rate w/ no delivery charge but with franchise fee and the plans go on and on.

I have 2100 square feet propane stove, oil heat and hot water so basically I have just water pump and lights and my bill averages about $40-60 per month and thats not using those energy saving bulbs.

Mark_ms