Kitchen/bathroom electrical

Old 01-18-07, 05:51 AM
P
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen/bathroom electrical

Hello all,

First time poster, long time reader. I have a few questions on electrical.

Some background info: My wife and I have added on two additions to our house. I poured the footer, did all of the framing, roofing, windows, siding, and now electrical. I had a 200A ( from 100A) panel upgrade installed by a licensed electrician and now I am doing all of the rough in electrical. Here are my questions.

1) For my kitchen stove I ran 6/3 wire with a 50A breaker. What size box/clamp should I use for the receptacle? I had a double gang plastic box there but I just didn't like how the plastic clamp was digging into the sheathing. I was thinking about a double gang metal box w metal clamp

2) For my new bathroom, I have a 20A circuit for the receptacles and the lights. This is allowed per NEC ( as I have read recrafts posts many times in here). Is the exhaust fan allowed to be on this circuit as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-07, 05:55 AM
R
1. I do not recommend plastic boxes for 240 volt loads. For ranges I prefer a free standing surface mount receptacle. If you do go with a box, I suggest a double gang metal box.

2. Code allows any and all 120 volt loads in the bathroom to be on the same 20 amp circuit, as long as this circuit serves only items in the bathroom. The only exceptions would be if a device specifically called for a dedicated circuit. Personally I would not place a heating unit on the same circuit as the regular receptacles, but it is allowed. In your case the exhaust fan can go on the circuit.

Old 01-18-07, 06:21 AM
P
Thanks

Thanks for the help

Old 01-18-07, 07:44 AM
P
1) " For my kitchen stove I ran 6/3 wire with a 50A breaker. What size box/clamp should I use for the receptacle? I had a double gang plastic box there but I just didn't like how the plastic clamp was digging into the sheathing. I was thinking about a double gang metal box w metal clamp "--------

Is there any reason why the 6/3 cable cannot terminate on the appliance , instead of on a receptacle?

Old 01-18-07, 07:51 AM
P
The receptacle provides a means of disconnect for servicing

Old 01-18-07, 09:43 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
For range receptacles, I prefer to use a 4-11/16" square steel deep box with 2-gang mud ring. The 4-11/16" boxes have 3/4" and 1" knockouts to accommodate the 6/3 cable. Not all of the big box stores carry boxes larger than 4", but it should be readily available at an electrical supply house. Of course with a steel box, you must ground the box in addition to the receptacle with a #10 pigtail.