series smoke and co2 detector wiring

Old 01-18-07, 02:29 PM
series smoke and co2 detector wiring

I'm trying to replace two detectors. I understand that the red wires on the new units are to interconnect. The house wiring in the old boxes has four wires, black, white yellow and brown. I'm guessing that the yellow will be connected to the red and the blacks and whites to like wires on the unit but what is the brown one for? Can I just end it in the box?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-07, 08:26 PM
Never guess. That could get you killed.

Examine every box on the circuit, whether for a smoke detector or not and tell us how the wires are connected to anything at any of the junction boxes and at the panel.

Old 01-19-07, 07:20 AM
Thanks, I did it last night but please let me know if I did it right. The old detectors had four wires each, black to black, white to white on one cable and white to yellow and black to brown on another cable. There are two boxes and each one now has black to black, white to white for one 14/2 cable. There is another 14/2 with white that I hooked up to red and black that I ended in a wire nut (that used to go to old brown). Now both alarms work and when one goes off the other does too. Maybe I should have grounded the other black to the box? I didn't trace back to the panel so I don't know if this is a stand alone circut.
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-19-07, 07:50 AM
Trace back to the panel.

I suspect someone used the wrong type of cable.

Old 01-19-07, 08:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> yellow and brown

Are the yellow and brown wires in a cable assembly like romex? Are they actually #14 or are they a low voltage signal wire? Is it possible that yellow and brown are faded white and black or are the colors bright yellow and brown?

Old 01-19-07, 11:05 AM
The yellow and brown were the old wires in the four wire cluster coming to the box from the old units. Inside the box are only two sets of two wire romex. I think instead of using low voltage white they just used romex, the house is about 25 years old. Seems like the white one I connected to red in each application interfaces the units but still not sure what to do with the black in the same romex. I'm guessing that the units are already grounded with the other black wire but then again I'm just a fisherman and not an electrician. Thanks for your help.