Need to add a 220 volt plug for a new range

Old 01-19-07, 10:29 AM
Question Need to add a 220 volt plug for a new range

I currently have a stove top in my kitchen that is 15 years old and needs to be replaced. I also have a wall oven which also need to be replaced. My thought is to purchase a free standing electric range to replace both. The stove top is hard wired to an electric box under the cooktop. I would like to install a 220 volt plug, since the wire is already connected to the service panel. I'm not sure if I should purchase a 220 volt receptacle that can handle 3 or 4 prongs. When I pulled the cover off the box I did see a Brown, Red and White wire. There also was a bare copper wire that was attached to the electric box.

Thanks for any assistance...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-07, 10:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> 220 volt receptacle that can handle 3 or 4 prongs.

All new range installations require a 4 prong receptacle and the matching 4 wire cord on the range. Also, consult the installation manual for the range for proper installation of the 4 wire cord; you will probably have to remove a bonding strap inside the range's electrical box.

> When I pulled the cover off the box I did see a Brown, Red and White wire.

The existing wires need to be #8 AWG with a 40A breaker to support a freestanding range; #6 AWG with a 40A or 50A breaker is also acceptable. If they are only #10 AWG, then the wires are not substantial enough for a range. Examine the cable or wires for markings indicating the AWG.

> There also was a bare copper wire that was attached to the electric box.

When you install the receptacle, both the receptacle and box itself should be grounded with pigtails of #10 wire fastened with a wirenut to the incoming bare copper ground.

Old 01-19-07, 11:43 AM
Question 220 volt receptacle

I have examiner the wire leading to the cooktop and can't find any markings on the wire. Also, my current stove top is connected to a 30A breaker. it looks like I will need to replace the breaker as well. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks

Old 01-19-07, 11:45 AM
To be absolutely certain about the wires, you need to measure the thickness of the copper conductor.

However, being as this was a stand alone cook-top, and a not a full blown range, it is unlikely that the wires are any larger than 10 gage.

I suspect you will need to buy cable (I recommend 6 gage, even if 8 gage will do), the breaker and the receptacle.