220v dryer outlet


Old 01-19-07, 01:55 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220v dryer outlet

hello, I own a home that was built in 1947. in my kitchen there is a 220 outlet that is for an electric stove. i need to move this to the other side of the kitchen for my dryer. i have read about splicing with a 10/3g copper wire in a previous thread on this site and covering the original box with a blank cover. i have found the outlet that will match my dryer plug but, my question is what exactly do i splice with? is there actually something used especially for this voltage wire? what is it called?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-07, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
What type of wire is in the existing box? How many conductors and what color insulation do they have? Are the conductors aluminum or copper and what is the AWG of the wire?
Old 01-19-07, 02:03 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Understand that the only way you may do this safely and to code is if the follow are true:

The conductors are copper and at least 10 gage.
There are four conductors.
You can downsize the breaker or fuse to be 30 amps.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: