Gfci Breaker Issue

Old 01-21-07, 08:28 AM
Gfci Breaker Issue

Can anyone help me with a tricky gfci breaker issue. I have a gfci breaker that trips regularly, however we can rest the breaker and it will not trip for either 5-6 hours or 2 days I have unplugged all items that are plugged into the outlets and the only things left contacted are a bathroom light and bedroom ceiling fan. The house is only two years old, I have heard it could be the breaker but wanted to try to rule out all other issues first. Any help would be appreciated since there seems to be no rhymn or reason for the tripping.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-07, 08:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had the same problem once.. After disconnecting the wires for the circuit, I tested them all to ground, and for shorts to each other.. OK there.. I put in a regular breaker, and changed the outlet to a GFCI type..

Old 01-21-07, 09:24 AM
Something is fishy here. What else is on this circuit?

Old 01-22-07, 01:03 PM
Gfci Breaker Issue

Well the only thing I have been able to find that is on this circuit is the outlets in a bedroom. The lights fixtures in the ajoining bathroom which includes a light/vent combo a ceiling fan and that's it that I can determine. The weird part is I would have thought as soon as the breaker was turned back on since I don't have anything plugged into the outlets if it was the lights or the fan it would trip, but it can go for two days or 5 hours. No logic.

Help..

Went home after work breaker was tripped I did notice what I thought was a gfci breaker is labeled AFCI hope this helps to solve my problem.

Thanks

Last edited by drcole; 01-22-07 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-22-07, 05:38 PM
Probably it's doing it's job. Don't use the fan or lights if you can.
Or simply replace the breaker and see. If it continues dig deeper. These are new and some have been recalled. What manufacture is it?
Do a search for recalls. You fall in the time frame.

Old 01-24-07, 05:20 PM
GFCI Issue

I checked the box and its a Murray box. Did do some research and these are usually Siemens Murray. How can I find the recalls I could not locate them?

Found out my brother plugged the directv box into one of the outlets, since I have had that disconnected it has not trip yet. Will wait and see.

Old 01-24-07, 07:29 PM
I beleive it was Square D. I will check and get back. I remember it was about a 2 year spread. ending last may.

Old 01-28-07, 10:33 AM
If your ceiling fan has a rotary dial type wall control that may be your problem. I am havin gthe same issue and when I went to change the control I found out most of them say do not install with a GFCI breaker.

Does anyone know where to find a dial type control that does not have this limitation?