AFCI - Bedroom breaker will not reset

Old 01-21-07, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AFCI - Bedroom breaker will not reset

Hello. A few days ago a single AFCI breaker was thrown and will not reset. I will note that there was no bad weather and no unusual loads on that line (room wasn't being used).

Having said that - when I look at the breaker box, right by the switch in question I notice a clear plastic window. The ones that are still good are clear. The switch in question has yellow behind the window.

So I am trying to get some ideas on what might be wrong. I do not plan on fixing this myself. Anyhow is it possible that the switch is bad? Or perhaps there is a short elsewhere?

TIA!

K

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-07, 10:26 AM
If you feel comfortable doing this, disconnect the wires from the breaker. If it still does not reset, replace the breaker. If it does reset then you have a problem somewhere on the circuit. You will find and correct the problem.

Old 01-21-07, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may also try unplugging every thing on this ckt, and all switches to the off position.

Make sure the breaker is pushed all the way off,then on.

Old 01-21-07, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
If you feel comfortable doing this, disconnect the wires from the breaker. If it still does not reset, replace the breaker. If it does reset then you have a problem somewhere on the circuit. You will find and correct the problem.

Not feeling too comfortable doing that myself. I'll probably have to get an electrician in.

Do you have any idea on what the yellow box beside the switch is? Just curious if it indicates anything specific (or just indicates bad breaker..)

Old 01-21-07, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
You may also try unplugging every thing on this ckt, and all switches to the off position.

Make sure the breaker is pushed all the way off,then on.

Thanks. I tried this and it still won't reset.