Romex and Type AC

Old 01-21-07, 07:16 PM
Romex and Type AC

Hello, I've started to finish my basement. In doing so, I've run Type AC (Greenfield) from existing electrical boxes and even added a few more circuit breakers for my dedicated home theatre system. I went to my local hardware store and with some suggestions from persons who did it in the past recommended that I get Romex 12-gauge wire (12/2) and Type AC (Greenfield). Apparently, local code states that we can't run Romex by itself. I've pulled the Romex through the Greenfield and I can't tell you how difficult it was to do so. I have more runs to do now, but I was interested in knowing if I could cut the plastic sheathing from the romex cable and run that through the type AC. Now that I have given the background of my situation, here is the question. While searching on the Internet if I could do something like that, I have run into common statements that state that running Romex through Greenfield should not be allowed and that overheating could start and other websites that give suggestions on how to run Romex through Type AC. These runs aren't very long, maybe 12' - 15' being the longest. I'm interested in knowing what some professional opinions are on this matter.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-07, 08:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will need THHN wire, and a green ground in the flex/greenfeild. Apropriate connectors and boxes to accept those connectors, metal boxes aswell as the devices (switches etc.) need to be grounded too.
Stay away from the NM cable,once you strip the jacket off of it, it is no longer "listed" for that use.

Old 01-21-07, 08:39 PM
Do not use the AC that you pulled NM cable through. The cable is likely damaged and you have an electrocution or a fire waiting to happen.

Do not strip NM cable and use the wires. This violated code.

If NM is not allowed where you are, then buy proper pre-wired cable or use plain old metal conduit and install THHN/THWN wire.

Old 01-22-07, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm going to go to the local hardware store and purchase new wiring. Luckily enough, there is only a little bit of drywall up and I'm able to get to the outlets fairly easily. I'm going to spend most of the night pulling that cable out and the new cable through. My family and I appreciate it.

Old 01-22-07, 09:22 AM
Out of curiosity, how far should you be able to run Greenfield with THHN 12 Gauge Wire through it safely? I may have to take down the existing drywall and remove the Greenfield and put in Conduit if this isn't up to code. As of right now, I'm looking at multiple runs of Greenfield ranging anywhere from 10' to 25'.

I don't understand why they won't let us just run Romex by itself.

Thanks

Just an update, I can't even run Greenfield. I'm going to be taking down the drywall and replacing it with conduit. Thanks for everyone's help on this. It just seemed that the snowball effect hit me on this one.

Last edited by data195; 01-22-07 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-22-07, 10:28 AM
You must live in Chicago. They require all work to done with conduit there. Almost everywhere else NM cable is allowed. It's some quirky local code rule.

Old 01-22-07, 11:09 AM
One of the suburbs actually.

I was just reading the requirements for proper basement finishing for the city and they are just unrealistic. I understand that safety is in their best interest, but when they make you jump through hoops to get a permit, is it just too much. This of course goes beyond wiring for electric. I bet that 95% of the people who finish their basement will not go for a permit because of this since most of the basements around here won't even meet the current code unfinished! For example, they require a certain height for ceilings, well, I want to put a drop ceiling in and if I do that, I will be out of luck because it will fall below that mark.

Again, I understand that its code (which is ever changing) and that there may be problems down the road when you go to sell a house, but that is a chance that they are willing to take.

Old 01-22-07, 11:39 PM
I know I am probably opening a hugh can of worms here, but I'm likely only saying what most of us either believe or already know: some (mostly local)codes are more politically inspired than technically necessary for safety.

This does not mean that safety is of secondary importance in these cases. It just means that sometimes the politics of keeping all the competing constituents in a community happy is equally important.

Old 01-23-07, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

DAHHHH, Ya' think!?

Sorry I meant BAHHHHH.

With the advances in this (and all building trades) we would think The pols would adjust.
They only want to keep costs down and the public safe. I can't think of a better way.

There are some real concerns in areas, for special considerations.

Boston/Chi-Town!? Whats the electrical dif?

Don't worry they know best. Their not like the others.

Some times, worms need some running room too!

See Ya' in Hawaii.

Old 01-23-07, 10:37 PM
Thumbs up

Running worms? Cool! Thanks for the visual!