Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

replacing line voltage thermostat with low voltage thermostat

replacing line voltage thermostat with low voltage thermostat

Old 01-21-07, 09:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question replacing line voltage thermostat with low voltage thermostat

Last year we had air conditioning installed in our church which is controlled by a dual programable AC/heating thermostat (White Rogers 1F905, 17 - 30 volts max.)

The heating in the church is from 11 electrical oil heating units (Intertherm model AH1500 24, 1500 watts, 240 volts Ac, 6.5 amp.). Six units are controlled by a Means thermostat (Means, model M602, Double pole, 22A - 120/240 VAC, 18A - 227 VAC, 22A 240 VAC) and five by another Means thermostat (Means, model M602, Double pole, 22A - 120/240 VAC, 18A - 227 VAC, 22A 240 VAC).

Would it be possible to eliminate the Means thermostats and control the heat with the programable White Rogers thermostst? If so what device(s) would be needed and how would it (they) be wired?

Bob

Old 01-22-07, 02:45 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is right up my ally, and not a DIY project.

I would track down the circuits to make sure that the units are on thier own circuit and then build a control panel next to each associated electrical panel. Then run low volt cable to control the heaters. You may need to have a control transformer installed and some isolation transformers. It would take a good long, day long, look at your installation to be sure.

Check with a local controls contractor or your utilitys to see if a project like this might qualify for energy savings credits or loans. You may be able to fund a good part of this job with the fed govts money. You may need to upgrade to DDC control to qualify, but it is worth looking into.

Old 01-22-07, 04:23 AM
Honeywell carries a 7-day programmable line voltage t-stat. It's the Linevolt Pro 8000. You would probably have to have a contractor do the job but it would end up being more economicle then converting what you have to low voltage.

Old 01-23-07, 08:54 AM
B
Thank you for the information. I conclude that replacing the line voltage Means thermostats with a programable low voltage thermostate would not be an easy project nor inexpensive. That being the case if I replaced the Means line voltage thermostats with programable line voltage thermostats (ie Honeywell Pro 8000) could both Means thermoststs be replaced by one or would I need two programable thermostats because of the amperage draw (each Means thermostat is rated at 22A, 240 VAC which controls six Intertherm heating units each of which is rated 1500 watts, 6.5AMP at 240 volt AC)?

Lastly, if a single line voltage programable thermostat would work to control the heating could it also control the AC which is currently controlled by a low voltage programable thermostat? If so what device would be needed?

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

Bob

Old 01-23-07, 11:58 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
> would I need two programable thermostats

You would need two.

> line voltage programable thermostat...control the AC

I do not know of any 22A line voltage thermostat that can also control a low voltage AC system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: