Shed question

Old 01-22-07, 05:38 PM
Question Shed question

I wired the interior of my storage shed (8' x 16') for 2 ceiling boxes with the ceramic base fixtures. #12 NM . The shed is 14' from the house. Each fixture will hold 1 60w bulb. This is NOT a work shed but strictly for storage. The switch is just inside the door on the wall. Here is my dilema. I live in a mobile home so the storage shed is essential to go into every day and evening to get things. It is dark by the time I am home. The ground is frozen already here in N.H., when it thaws I will wire with dedicated circuit ,proper UF and conduit buried. For TEMPORARY USE ONLY, I installed on the exterior of the shed a 20A GFCI recepticle (weather proof box). On the exterior of my mobile home I already have a dedicated 20A GFCI circuit weather protected also. Can I run a male to male outdoor extention cord or proper AWG CABLE safely from the shed to the house so that I may have light inside my shed? If I can, where do I get one? Of course I would always plug the shed side in first, then make the final extension cord connection at the house. Sorry for being long winded. Or is there a male styled recepticle that I can just install on the side of the shed in place of the regular one that is there now?
Thanks!

Last edited by Bernard_01; 01-22-07 at 05:58 PM. Reason: mor info
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-07, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

ABSOLUTLY NOT!!!!! Male to male extensions are deadly.

I will not tell you that a #12 extension cord hard wired to the shed feed, and plugged into a GFCI rec is ok.

I would wait 'till summer and install a good solid ckt.

Old 01-22-07, 06:13 PM
I will not tell you that a #12 extension cord hard wired to the shed feed, and plugged into a GFCI rec is ok.

I appreciate you response. Could you tell me if supply houses sell the male receptacle?

THANKS AGAIN.

Old 01-22-07, 06:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(I beleive they do. ) DO NOT USE A MALE TO MALE EXTENSION!!!!!!!!!

Humans are not smart enough for this type of device. It can be FATAL to mortals.

Old 01-22-07, 06:35 PM
I'll call Dig Safe and get my pick ax ready to run a proper ckt. THANKS for your honest and professional advice!

Old 01-22-07, 06:52 PM
Short story.......

I had a lawn sprinkler pump by the lake fed by an extension cord. I didn't think it mattered so I put male and male @ 240V.

One day I pulled the cord up to the panel, plugged it in then walked back down to the lake. There was my brother about to touch the exposed male prongs....."DON'T TOUCH THAT"!

I changed the cord end. You may know better but someone else might not.

Old 01-23-07, 08:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> Can I run a male to male outdoor extention cord or proper AWG CABLE safely

A much better temporary solution would be to cut the female end off the extension cord and wire it directly into the shed, effectively making your shed an appliance that you can plug in.

The male-male plug is quite dangerous, even on a GFCI circuit. Certainly if you can dig the trench, do it; but I understand that frozen ground is virtually impossible to get through without machinery.

Old 01-23-07, 08:35 AM
Thank you Ben....that's about my plan for now. I'll hardwire the cord to the GFCI recepticle on the shed and then just use the male end of the plug/cord on the house...TEMPORARILY!