Anmeter or Multi meter?

Old 01-23-07, 09:39 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Anmeter or Multi meter?

I'm looking into purchasing a multi meter.I'm a homeowner and I know it is a good tool to have around for electrical work and troubleshooting.I see a clamp on one which is listed as an anmeter for 79.99 and it is digital.
Then there is the digital multi meters going from 19.99-100.00+...

If anyopne could give Me some insight on the best value for a home owner.I would like to stay under 100.00..Should I go with a clamp on or just the old fashion multi meter..
thanks for all Your advice..

Old 01-23-07, 09:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The clamp-on is for reading the current a device is drawing..
Individual circuits or entire load can be measured..

A Multimeter measures AC and DC voltages up to a couple hundred and as little as millivolts.. They also read DC current from about 200 ma to 2 amp..
They also read resistance from a few ohms to mega ohms..

For the average homeowner, a multimeter is what you want.. You don't need to spend alot of money unless you're going to need very precise readings..

I have a digital multimeter that also has a connection for a type K thermocouple for temperature readings.. I also have a cheap analog meter that I carry in my toolbox..

Old 01-23-07, 10:09 AM
R
Buy an analog multi-meter.

Do not buy a digital meter. Buy an analog meter. A digital meter is only useful if you know how to interpret what you read. Too many people have no clue what the reading means from a digital meter.

Buy an analog multi-meter.

Old 01-23-07, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With racraft go for a Amprobe RS3 analog meter
or check out the UEI H26-238 little cheaper. get test leads

Old 01-23-07, 01:36 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
In my opinion, you only need a few cheap testers for residential work. These will cover 95% of the testing you will ever need to do, and their readings are unambiguous. A multi-meter requires you to first choose the correct setting and then analyze the measurement it provides. If you want to supplement these basic tools with a MM, there's no need to go overboard. A MM for less than $50 is plenty.

The first is a plug-in tester with 3 lights and a GFCI test button. These are about $10, and can instantly identify almost any problem a receptacle can experience.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6748552

The second type of tester is a neon-bulb voltage tester with two leads. It provides an unambiguous reading; if there's voltage present, the lamp lights.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/4889697

The third type of tester is a non-contact voltage detector. It is a plastic wand that you hold near an electrical box. If there's voltage in the box, a tone sounds and you know the circuit is still live.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6311948

Old 01-23-07, 02:35 PM
T
Thanks guys for all the replies.I really appreciate all of your knowledge.You guys helped me do things right and saved me a lot of money.I still use and will always respect Electricians,for what yous have to learn and remember yous cant charge enough...

Plug in tester and neon bulb tester is in my tool box already as well as wiring simplified.
Thanks again and i will get an anolog multi meter,so if and when the time comes i run into a problem,i will have it for troubleshooting,along with this forum...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: