outlet box/Phone junction box

Old 01-25-07, 11:55 PM
Question outlet box/Phone junction box

Not sure what to call this box. I am installing RJ45 network cable within my home. I have fished the cable up 1 wall and i'm trying to go down another and
to keep from having to drill additional holes in the top plate and to keep from
having additional face plates in the room, i've opted to run the Rj45 network
cable down the hole an existing phone line uses.

I have removed the telephone face plate and i've been unable to remove the
box that the face plate screws into. This box is plastic and doesnt have any
screws on the inside of it that i can remove. I have wedged a flat head screwdriver between the box and all 4 sides of it to loosen it and just can't
figure out what could be holding it in place.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-07, 01:07 AM
If the box is not an old work type then it is likely nailed to the stud above and below the box. Instead of trying to remove the box (and then having to install a new one, fish the wire into the existing box.

Old 01-26-07, 01:18 AM
Question box

I assumed the studs were only running verticlly. So this box could have a stud on each side and 2X4's running horizonally as braces. If that is the case then fishing seems like a difficult task in light of the 2X4 braces. I was thinking about drilling a large hole into the top of the box with hopes of being
able to pull the RJ45 cable through with my fingers. The existing hole is only about 3/16" that the phone line runs through and that doesn't leave any room for the RJ45 unless i make a new hole. I guess that is what your proposing.

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
If the box is not an old work type then it is likely nailed to the stud above and below the box.
Here's a picture of the box. You can see by the images that there is no nails in the top or bottom. Hmmm....

http://ThePcAddict.com/PhoneBox/boxview1.jpg

http://ThePcAddict.com/PhoneBox/boxview2.jpg

Last edited by Phe0nix; 01-26-07 at 01:36 AM. Reason: adding pictures of box
Old 01-26-07, 02:58 AM
Group Moderator
There should be a stud on one side. Use a Sawzall or hacksaw blade to cut the nails. If you don't want to do that just use a 1 1/2" hole saw to drill a hole in the back. That should make fishing easy. (Many LV boxes are backless anyway so should be no code violation to drill hole.)

Old 01-26-07, 05:59 AM
Box

The nails used to fasten this type of box are on the outside of the box and are not visible from the inside. There will be a nail across the top of the box into the stud. There will be a nail across the bottom of the box into the stud.
Figure out which side the stud is on and use a sawzall as suggested above to cut the nails.

Old 01-26-07, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take a big screw driver and a hammer and bust it out. Then buy a "box Eliminator" any size and your done.

Old 01-27-07, 02:14 AM
Thumbs up Thank You all..

Thanks everyone for all your tips. Wirepuller38, thank you for helping me understand what people were trying to tell me with the nails. I did't see any
nails or screws and now it all makes more sense. I'll give this box another shot and i'm sure i'll be successfull now that i know what i'm dealing with.

Thanks Again everyone...

Old 01-27-07, 08:32 PM
Hidden Nails behind box

This is for anyone who stumbles onto this post hoping to learn what i have.
Pictures say a 1,000 words right...

http://ThePcAddict.com/PhoneBox/nailed.jpg

http://ThePcAddict.com/PhoneBox/salvaged.jpg

With the info other users have provided me with, i was able to remove the box by placing a heavy screwdriver between the box and the stud, in my situation the stud was to the left of the box. As you guessed, i pryed it loose
from the stud with the screwdriver. I pused the box in, to the right ( out of the way ) and using a "fish tape" i fished the cable down into the opening.
Drilled a hole in the top of the box and pushed in back into the orignal holes
in the stud. Using "BES FIB207" ( fiberfish ) would have made this much easier. I have the fiberfish kit on order.

Thank You all....