can this be done ?

Old 01-26-07, 05:59 PM
can this be done ?

i want to run power to my garage from the house.

i want to power an arc welder in the garage.

i want to backfeed a generator from the garage into the house.

i have a 100A 220V circuit at my basement door, that an electrician installed years ago, for the arc welder and to backfeed a generator.
main breaker was turned off, backfeed through 100A arc welder breaker.

can i disconnect the arc welder circuit, run a new cicuit from the arc welder breaker to a sub panel in the garage, then backfeed the generator through the sub panel and into the main panel ?

i have seen a lot of questions regarding powering a garage and backfeeding generators, but no one seems to be using 100A 220V. just wondering if i can use a breaker i already have .

at this point im not asking for details, just wondering if it can be done this way or if there is a better way i should consider.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-07, 06:12 PM
The only way to backfeed into a panel is if it is not possible to have the main breaker and the back feed breaker on at the same time. In your case this would mean that the main breaker and the sub panel breaker would have to be this way. This means that the sub panel could never be powered off the main panel.

Sorry.

Old 01-26-07, 06:27 PM
are you saying i could never backfeed a generator, unless i change the main panel in the house to one that is set up to be fed by a generator ?

not trying to argue with you, just want to make sure i understand the bad news.

Old 01-26-07, 06:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yup, Pretty much you understand.

You could get a 3 position (manual transfer) switch, and you could make it work.

This would allow Gen power to go through or house power, but not both.

This way Linemen and your neighbors don't get killed. We all know that would be bad.

Old 01-26-07, 07:01 PM
but i cant install a manual transfer switch, correct? doesnt that go between the main panel and the power company line? so i would need an electrian .

i was hoping there was a way i could do this myself.

and yes, i do know what happens if my generator sends power out of my house during a power outage. steps it up to a lot more then 220 V .

Old 01-26-07, 07:21 PM
so i would need an electrian ##
I would say yes, But given the context of this forum I won't say that.

How do you propose to get power to your garage? If you run conduit you can make provisions for this application.

Seperate wires for the generator, You don't need to weld during an outage.
(The back feed method can be hard and deadly for a DYIer.)

Then a transfer panel in the house panel and your all set.

Old 01-26-07, 08:15 PM
are you saying some DIY'ers can replace a main panel ? i thought even electrians didnt do it live and the power company wont pull the meter for just anybody.

years ago my main breaker went and a friend of mine was an electrian. the meter had a lock on it and the power company wouldnt unlock it untill they found out he had a contractors license. they wouldnt unlock it for an electrician.

im not trying to argue with anybody, if there is a way i can do this myself, i would love to hear it, but i didnt think DIY'ers could change a main panel to a generator panel or install a transfer switch.
does the transfer switch go before or after the main panel? can i turn off the main breaker and install the transfer switch or must i pull the meter?
if i have to pull the meter, then that is that, i cant do it.

running conduit and seperate wires is fine. i dont care what i have to do to get this to work, but first i need to know if i can do this myself.
backfeeding was my first idea because i am already doing it. all i hoped i could do was move the circuit.

Old 01-26-07, 08:32 PM
Well, Now your replacing the main panel?

No need to, for what you first asked about.There is a nice (several)Little transfer panel that you,Can install yourself.

I Read through the first post, that you want your generator in the garage, and want to power the house ckts.
If this is correct it's very doable.

So get your thoughts together,Then we can see what you want/need.

Old 01-26-07, 08:45 PM
ok. forget the main panel. i was trying to use the main panel as way to explain my point. rather then confusing you further, lets just talk about the "nice (several)Little transfer panel ".
you are correct, i want the generator in the garage powering the house.

can you give me some brand names and model numbers of these transfer panels so i can look them up myself ? i would rather figure out as much as i can on my own, then come back here and ask questions.

Old 01-27-07, 08:48 AM
lectriclee,

just checked a website that sells transfer panels, read the installation instructions.
now i understand what you were trying to say.

i thought all transfer switches needed the meter pulled to install. now i realize only the big automatic ones are installed that way.

thanks for the help.

now i just have to go back to the drawing board and decide which one i want, and where to put it.

thanks for the help.

Old 01-27-07, 10:25 AM
Glad you saw the "light".

They go nice and easy right next to the main panel.

Then run the gen wires from there to where you want the gen. Install a rec at the garage and one inside and your good to go.