Electrical/Fuse problem in my Mobile home

Old 01-27-07, 11:37 AM
Electrical/Fuse problem in my Mobile home

Just recently I have had a fuse blow a few times. In my fuse box there are 6 20amp fuses with the 2 cartridge fuses. Out of all those 6 fuses I have one that keeps blowing that gives power to the living room outlets and lights and the kitchen lights too(not the kitchen outlets though).

When it first did it I replaced the fuse. Then like 2 days later it blew again and I replaced it. After like 4 days it blew again so I replaced all the fuses. Then after only about 18hrs it blew once again. When I take the fuse out it is little hotter than warm while all the others arent even warm too.

Is this a fuse problem associated with to many things plugged into the outlets and what not? Or maybe its a loose connection? I am going to call an electrition on Monday unless I anyone can help me fix the problem without me worrying if I did something wrong., which is very possible on this forum i see .

If you need more information on anything just ask But I appricate any help that can be given.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 11:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What aside from lights,is on this ckt? Recepticales too? Have you changed light bulbs or added anything, New TV etc.?

Old 01-27-07, 11:52 AM
Lights in the living room and kitchen along with my TV, DVD, cable box, computer, surround sound, clock, modem, router, and a space heater. Havent changed light bulbs.

I started using the space heater about 2 months ago, but this is the first problem I have had like this since I bought this place like 4-5years ago.

The things plugged into the kitchen outlets, and the lights in the hallway bathroom and 2 bedrooms, along with those outlets, are not affected by this.

Old 01-27-07, 11:57 AM
Most likely the space heater is overloading the circuit. Tell us the fuse size (15 or 20 amps) and look on the space heater and tell us what the wattage is for the heater.

Roger

Old 01-27-07, 12:05 PM
They are 20 amp fuses. The watts on the heater is up to 1600 watts if you have it on high.

I wouldnt have seen a problem with the fuses for the first 2 months, then it blowing the fuses on a regular basis now?

Old 01-27-07, 12:09 PM
O I forgot to mention. We recently have started to use our gas stove a little more and I just realized that when the fuse blows, the gas stove light turns off so it must be on the same circuit too. Do gas stoves use electricity other than when the ignition turns on? I am not too knowledgable on things like that lol.

Old 01-27-07, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
The electric heater is the most likely cause. Even without it you have a lot on the circuit. You should perhaps have the electrician install a dedicated circuit for it.

It could be the use of the heater has made a marginal connection somewhere even worse causing a higher amp draw or it could be a usage change with some of the items on the circuit. Maybe more things on then previously when using the heater. It wouldn't take much to tip the balance.

How hot does the heater plug get when it's on. I've seen the plugs eventually melt off and the receptacle plastic turn from white to brown and crumble away.

Is your wiring copper or aluminum?

Old 01-27-07, 01:22 PM
Your heater is probably the problem. It sounds like you have a lot of stuff on one circuit. Add up all the different loads that this one circuit is serving. If you come up with more than 2KW you should look at either adding another circuit or distributing the load among other circuits.

Old 01-27-07, 02:54 PM
Ok cool beans for all the info, thanks.

Just one other thing. Does a gas stove use a lot of electricity when its on? Since I realized that the stove is probably on the same circuit and we just started using it again it would prolly make sense that the stove isnt helping if it does use a lot.

Ill see what I can move to a different outlet on a different circuit though and will use the space heater less. Maybe get a little extention cord to put the computer and what not on a different outlet.

Tyty

Old 01-27-07, 03:14 PM
A gas stove uses very little power. And extenson cords are a bad idea.

You should move the computer or have a circuit added where needed.

Old 01-27-07, 03:22 PM
Do not use extension cords except for temporary use.

Disconnect the space heater and sell it at your next garage sale. You should not use a space heater except in an emergency, and then only on a dedicated or little used circuit.

You had better hope that the wiring in the house is 12 gage. In fact you had better check that it is. That goes for all the circuit. In most cases, wiring for fuses (except for kitchen circuits) is only 14 gage. It's possible that the previous owner stupidly installed 20 amp fuses when he should not have. if this is the case then you have a fire hazard. And if this is the case, I recommend a professional inspection of the circuit that has been blowing the fuse, as you have severely overloaded those wires.

Old 01-27-07, 03:43 PM
Ok no extention cords So does that mean I shouldnt even use my surge protector? A different outlet on a different circuit is only like 2 feet away, but I cant really move the computer. Prolly will get rid of the heater either way, but wouldnt mind moving some stuff to different outlets.

Old 01-27-07, 03:48 PM
An outlet strip, including one with a surge protector) is not the same as an extension cord. You will note that the cord is relatively short, and that the size is larger than most extension cords. Unlike an extension cord, the outlet strip is probably rated for 15 amps.

Old 01-27-07, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lights in the living room and kitchen along with my TV, DVD, cable box, computer, surround sound, clock, modem, router, and a space heater. Havent changed light bulbs.##

I did.. But I don't need to read all posts.

You are over the limit.

New ckt. needed now, or give several things up.

Thats that. not to be "rude,arrogant or confrontational". YOUR FULL.

Old 01-27-07, 05:55 PM
Thanks for all the help people. I went to unplug the space heater and the metal do-hickies (prongs? idk!) were very hot. Also when it was plugged in the fuse was warm too, after it wasnt the fuse is back to room temperture. Bye Bye heater lol

Again, thanks for the help.