Brick wall behind sheetrock

Old 01-27-07, 08:46 PM
Question Brick wall behind sheetrock

I ran RJ45 from my bedroom to my sons room and the kitchen all of which have PC's in them. My bedroom is an adition onto my brick home. Getting behind this wall wasn't easy as it used to be the end of the house and so
it's designed differently from the other walls. I was lucky when i drilled into
what was suppored to be a top plate ( a 2x4 up on it's edge ).

There is only 3/4 of an inch from the back side of the sheetrock to the brick wall behind my sheet rock. Is there a way to install a face plate when there isn't room for a mounting box?

I thought about using a masonary bit to drill numberous holes into the brick in an effort to ( in a manor of speaking ) chissel out the brick . I really don't want a large surface mounted box, i feel it would look odd.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 08:52 PM
This is just for an RJ45 connection? If so, then you could either chisel out the brick like you suggested or:

A. I think they sell a shallow box that may work or

B. Take an "old work" plastic box and cut off the back part. That way, the cable will just run into the open box and attach to the rear of the face plate.

Old 01-27-07, 08:52 PM
you could use a ring box (i don't think thats what they are called but they are often used for low voltage applications. All it is, is a almost flat ring (for sheet rock) with two screw holes one in the top and one in the bottom...someone will be along to tell you the proper name of them.

Old 01-27-07, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Sthrnamp View Post
you could use a ring box (i don't think thats what they are called but they are often used for low voltage applications. All it is, is a almost flat ring (for sheet rock) with two screw holes one in the top and one in the bottom...someone will be along to tell you the proper name of them.
Bingo! Thats what i was thinking when i said "Shallow" box. Funny, i saw them today in Home Depot but don't know the name.

Old 01-27-07, 09:17 PM
i hate showing ignorance on this board but sometimes you just have to prove how ignorant even professionals can be...IF ANYONE KNOWS THE NAME OF THESE THINGS LEMME KNOW PLEASE..i don't want to go around calling them "ringboxthingawhachamacallit,yeah"

Old 01-27-07, 09:29 PM
it's called a low voltage ring. You want to try the 'old works' type, with the ears on two opposite corners.

If you only have 3/4", the ears/screws may be too long for your application (when you see the box you'll understand).

The boxes are orange, btw.

Old 01-27-07, 09:43 PM
Soi was right with my "ringboxthingawhachamacallit,yeah" ...just kidding thanx for making us all look bad Fuente...J/K thanx

Old 01-27-07, 09:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
BOX ELIMINATOR.

Caddy makes them leviton and others.
They'r metal with the ears that fold up. You may still need to chisel alittle,depending on the type of connector you use.

Don't worry AMP, The thingamagig and the whatsamicallit will always be of use,and very handy. I still have this gazinta and the finnagin pin that I just can't figure out what to do with.

Old 01-28-07, 12:58 AM
alternative method

I was thinking about drilling into the brick and putting in one of those plastic inserts and then using a 1 1/2 " screw through the faceplate. That should work shouldn't it?

I have 1 1/4 " from the brick wall to the front side of the sheetrock. Do they make faceplates that have 2 RJ45 connectors on them. I found a faceplate at Lowes that has 2 connectors on it ( 1 for a telephone and another for RJ45 ) but can't find one with 2 RJ45 connectors. We'll that Lowes but don't have a Home Depot near me so thought i would ask.

Old 01-28-07, 03:47 AM
do you have 3/4 inch plus the thickness of the drywall, or just 3/4 total.

They make a modular set up with cover plates up to six or even eight devices, .. you then buy the phone/cat jacks you want and fill the holes. I have bought all of this stuff from the big box store locally. I think last time I went I had to buy a three jack cover, and some blank incerts cause I only wanted two devices.

you will need to punch down the wires, but they sell punch tools, or in a pinch I have used needle nose and a knife. Just remember that you do not strip before you punch. the terminal strips as much wire as it needs.

Old 01-28-07, 05:20 PM
Yeah, we call them data rings....simplest way to go. No need to mess with a box.

Old 01-29-07, 08:40 PM
Thumbs up Finished

Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
do you have 3/4 inch plus the thickness of the drywall, or just 3/4 total.
They make a modular set up with cover plates up to six or even eight devices, .. you then buy the phone/cat jacks you want and fill the holes.
I have found the boxes that you are refering to and they are installed and look very nice. I used one of those boxes to add 2 RJ45 connections to and then found a box by Phillips that had a phone connector RJ11 and a Network connector RJ45 at the bottom. They didn't give any instruction on how to wire it though and that was a major headache but everything is installed and looking professional. For the room with the brick behind the sheetrock i opted to install plastic anchors into the brick and used a 3" #10 screw to fasten the wall plate to the sheetrock. Its very very tight and will never come loose.
My sheetrock was 1/2 " thick and i had 3/4 " behind it. Even the low voltage box aka "box eliminator" would fit as the tabs were too long but i'm told they make shorter ones, however you just bend the metal tabs behind the sheetrock and it would have never been anywhere near as tight as it is now.

Thanks for the support fella's