Illuminated light switches

Old 01-27-07, 09:24 PM
Illuminated light switches

After helping my neighbor with his wiring problem and seeing all his "Illuminated" toggle light switches throughout his house, i was thinking of installing the same in my house. What do you electricians think of them? Do the LED's have a long life span? I'd like to replace a few switches that are located in dark areas to these LED switches. What are the pros/cons and your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 09:28 PM
IMHO...its kinda redundant, but i can see the use of them for small children and the elderly I don't really like the asthetic point but they work for there intended purpose...I prefer the dimmer switches by lutron that has the small green LED next to the level of light, atleast these serve a dual function so as to help locate the switch as well as indicate what lighting levels you have left to increase or decrease. Now you must take that from my position I work with a lot of interior designers and low voltage accent lighting so mine may not be the opion you want to take on this but you asked.

Old 01-27-07, 09:31 PM
I asked and you gave......thanks for your opinion.

Old 01-27-07, 09:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO- The switches are pretty much where they
should be. Just another thing to screw up.

However,In my situation,They are great for knowing if my "under" garage lights are on.

I bought that because, My attempts to teach the teenager to shut them off failed. But thats another story.

Old 01-27-07, 09:51 PM
"under" garage??

Old 01-27-07, 10:05 PM
C'mon...Give me a break..it's late. I meant BAT CAVE.

Old 01-27-07, 10:07 PM
that bad place huh? Yeah i know its late i can't believe you're still up...waiting on that teenager to get home huh?

Old 01-29-07, 08:05 AM
Not an electrician, but IMO lighted switches are great - I have them in almost every room. They help save the walls from wandering hands in the dark. Most use a Neon light, not LED and they have a very long life. The light usually outlasts the switch. Each consumes no more than a fraction of a watt of electricity.

lectriclee, In my experience, kids between the ages of 13 and 21 cannot be home trained. Due to a hormonal shift of some kind, they are unable to hear the sound of their parent's voices. Fortunately, everything said to them during this period is recorded and can be accessed at some point in early adulthood, usually, in this case, around the moment they open their first electric bill. A moment no parent should miss. I've been lucky to have witnessed it twice now (and 2 more opportunities still exist!).

Doug M.

Old 01-29-07, 09:52 AM
There are two different types of these switches. One type lights up when the switch is in the off position. The other lights-up when the switch is in the on position - this type is called "pilot light switches". I have no idea why they called them that.

Anyway I just wired my basement remodel with a combination of the "pilot" type, and also some motiion sensitive swithces that shut off automatically. I am very happy with both types. No more doing the rounds to turn-off the lights down there. The motion sensitive ones are in the bathroom & a storeroom, both of which are single way switches. The "pilot ones are 3-way swithces at the top of the stairs into the basement, with standard 3-ways down in the basement where needed.

I have 3 kids, the oldest is just now a teenager. I figure I will recover the higher cost of the switches over time. It is also easier on my ever-getting-older, knees and legs.

Mike

Old 01-29-07, 02:02 PM
I just installed some illuminated switches as you are describing. Not the "pilot" lighted switched. I like them! Not sure how these switches know this, but, when I remove 1 bulb from a 2 bulb fixture, the light on the switch goes out! I guess these things know when continuity is not good? Strange, but I guess it's something that can tell you if you have a bulb out somewhere.

Thats my 2-cents.

Old 01-29-07, 02:07 PM
The light on the switch gets its neutral connection through the connected load. No load, no connection, no light. You'll also find higher wattage bulbs make the switch light brighter.

Doug M

Old 01-29-07, 02:10 PM
You will also find that the switch won't light up with certain types of lights installed. For this reason, if possible, you are better off getting switches that have a neutral connection.

Old 01-29-07, 02:23 PM
Very interesting! It took some time getting used to them, and alot of scratching my head. It takes the switch 10 seconds sometimes for the LED to illuminate, on my outside lights. Does not do this all the time though.

Old 01-29-07, 06:05 PM
Thanx!

I bought that because, My attempts to teach the teenager to shut them off failed. But thats another story.

Doug, I failed-2, And neither one got it.. 1- The electric bill should be there soon. I will be watching!! Thanx.

Pilot light: Can be either. Just as the name suggests, It was for the pilots flying at night. My guess. I'm still googling.