slack wire

Old 01-29-07, 03:20 AM
slack wire

I was always taught to leave slack wire in a circuit breaker box. Is code, good practice, or nonsense?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-07, 06:57 AM
It is good practice to leave enough wire for future changes, such as moving breakers around. This is usually done by routing the wires along the side of the box, down to the bottom and back up to the breaker. If this is what you mean by "slack", then it's good. But if you mean just a bunch of extra wire rambling around, then that's not good. Neatness counts--a lot!

But I don't know of any code that specifically requires it, other than the code that mandates the minimum length of wire from where it enters the box, and the non-specific requirement for good workmanship. Different inspectors may interpret the good-workmanship requirement differently.

Old 01-29-07, 02:34 PM
thanks for the reply. thats what i've always done, go to the bottom and then back up. with 20 circuits, there sure is a hell of a lot of wire in there. but i'm glad i did it, i needed it today. i was just wondering if it was a requirment. thanks

Old 01-29-07, 08:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Choice only

I don't like it. I think it makes a mess, no matter how hard you try. Then the emf etc.

If it's a new install, no need the place should be designed for what you have.
If more is needed, then add a sub.

30 yrs from now on an upgrade, things will be so different it won't matter.

Just my oppinion. Not right or wrong. Always a good chat.