Help with Light Fixture Install between 12/3 to 14/2 wire

Old 01-29-07, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Light Fixture Install between 12/3 to 14/2 wire

I am attempting to install a vanity light fixture in a bathroom. In the wall is a 12/3 cable (which I am guessing carries the power up from the breaker) and a 14/2 (which I am guessing carries the current to the other rooms on the circuit). The current fixture is actually a "3 in1" in that it has 3 separate black/ white/ ground circuits.

From what I can tell, the 12/3's red wire connects with the lamp's black and the 14/2's black. All the white are together.

Also, there is a wall switch that controls the vanity light, as well as a ceiling lamp.

So, how would I wire a new vanity that has a single white, black and ground?

Do I cap off the 12/3's red or black, or do I need them both. Other than that it's all the whites and all the grounds, yes?

Many thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-07, 09:19 AM
Do not ever guess. Electricity can and does kill people.

You use the same wires that were used by the previous fixture. It sounds like this is the white and the red. Was the black wire from the 12-3 capped off?

However, alarm bells are going off. In general you do not see 14 gage wire connected to 12 gage wire. You also do ot egnerally see 12-3 (or 14-3) from the breaker panel, except for multi-wire circuits.

Please, for your own safety, check the breaker panel. What size is the circuit breaker protecting this circuit? Where do the read and black wires connect up at the panel?

Old 01-29-07, 10:39 AM
Response with More Info

Racraft,

Thank you for the response. I take your meaning with guessing. When it comes to electrical work, my guessing (and the limited knowledge behind it) does not initiate action, just conversation.

To your questions:

The 12/3 black wire is not capped off. It runs to one of the fixture's three "inputs." (the fixture has two lights and a socket, each with its own blk/wht/grd wires).

At the breaker, the red runs from one 15A circuit and the black runs from the 15A circuit above it (on the breaker). They then meet up and head up the wall.

Old 01-29-07, 11:01 AM
What you have is a multi-wire circuit.

What else is on the same circuit breaker as the portion of the light that this black wire connects to?

What you will do is to use either the red wire or the black wire but not both.

If you used both you would either trip the circuit breaker (one or both), or you would have a fire hazard. Hopefully you would trip the breaker, because if you didn't then you have a fire hazard now which you should investigate and correct.

Old 01-29-07, 11:54 AM
more...

again, thank you.

So, the red wire comes out of breaker #14, which controls half of the rooms on the second floor while the black wire comes out of breaker #12, which controls the other half of the rooms on the second floor.

If I cap one of the hot wires, doesn't that take one of the breakers out of the equation? If I cap the red, what is breaker #14 doing/ controling? Is the current that was divided between the 2 breakers now in one? (Maybe I'm just demonstrating my simplistic understanding of electrical circuits.)

Old 01-29-07, 12:38 PM
You are confused.

Take your old light out. Connect the black wire of the new light to either the red wire of the 12-3 or to the black wire of the 12-3. Make all other connect6ions identical to the way they previously were done.

Old 01-29-07, 01:36 PM
seeking further clarification...

Appologies for the extended questioning...

My confusion rests in part because the old light has many more wires. It has two lights (each with blk, wht, grd), an outlet (with a blk, wht, grd) and then a wired connection (with 2 blks which seem hardwired onto the frame of the fixture). They are connected as follows:

12-3: red to connection black (1) and 14-2 black
black to light's outlet black

On the fixture: lamp 1 blk to lamp 2 blk and also connection black (2)

Since the 12-3's black goes to the outlet (and then stops), my guess (non-actionable) is that the 12-3 black can be capped. When the new light goes up, the light's black connects to the 12-3 red and the 14-2 black.

But then thes begs the question of what now happens to the circuit that 12-3 black is attched to...

Racraft, I do appreciate your patience with these questions.

Old 01-29-07, 01:52 PM
You are correct. Cap the black wire.

Nothing happens to the rest of the black wire circuit. It does not go through this junction, so it is not effected.

Old 01-29-07, 03:04 PM
Talking Thanks!

Thank you for the confirmation.