New Wiring in House

Old 01-29-07, 11:59 AM
New Wiring in House

I am considering purchasing a very old home (blt 1910) that needs all new electrical service. Can anyone give me a guestimate as to what that would cost? The house is gutted so there is total access to the walls. The house is 2 stories and only 900 sf, and would have all electrical appliances (stove, fridge, HVAC, washer, dryer, etc). The service box would have to be replaced/upgraded as well.

How much might it save if I installed the boxes pulled all the wire myself, while only having an electrician hook up the final service?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-07, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Figure about $1,500 - $2,000 for the service upgrade, then an additional $5,000 - $10,000 for the complete re-wire. This depends a lot on the local labor rate. With the walls all open and the house gutted, this should be a bid job and not time+materials.

You can probably do a lot of the wire pulling and box setting, but I recommend that you meet with the electrical contractor first. Every electrician has a different comfort level with how much work the homeowner can do under his direction. You should definitely be able to find someone who will let you do grunt work to knock some expense off the bill.

Old 01-29-07, 04:29 PM
In a re-wire situation, you'll have to pull a permit, so if you want to wire the whole house yourself, go for it. The inspector will let you know what's not up-to-snuff. There's not a great deal to it, but you have to know some basic code stuff. For example, your kitchen must have a minimum of (2) 20 amp small appliance circuits, your bathroom must have a 20 amp dedicated circuit, your bedrooms must be protected by arc-fault receptacles, your range must have a 50 amp 4-wire circuit, your dryer circuit must be 30 amps and 4-wire also. All cables must be stapled within 12 inches of any box, and every 6 feet or less thereafter, unless passing through studs. Sound easy enough? If you do your homework, and are a quick study, you should be able to do it.

Old 01-29-07, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
+- $5/sq ft.--Your location would help in this responce.
Many areas WILL NOT allow you, as an unlicensed person to do this work.
Additionaly, there are many local electrical codes that go beyond the National electrical code, aswell as local building codes that directly affect the electrical codes. When all that is settled, Now you need to get together whith the fire department and satisfy their codes.

Otherwise, with a little guidance,your good to go.

In short, You best do some reading. Get your ducks in a row.

But.. If your handy and allowed,Find a GOOD contractor who will work with you. Alot of this you can do. Perhaps not as fast as a contractor.. But it can be done.

Good luck.