End of line?

Old 01-29-07, 01:26 PM
End of line?

I took off a light ceiling fixture. There are two sets of two black wires. One set hot and one set not hot. My question is ,does the fact that there are two sets of wires mean that this fixture is not the end of the line on this receptacle? As far as I can tell it is the end of the line. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-07, 01:32 PM
If the light was working, you must have a neutral and a hot. Circuits in your house are called "branch circuits" because they can branch off in different directions, ie they don't have to be in series. You could look at the switchbox controlling this light and see how many wires enter and leave for a more complete picture. This one would be wired with the power at the switch rather than fixture. If you have no more than two cables in the switch, it may be "the end of the line".

What material was the wire made of? Some of the cloth covered used to be painted white, but the paint fades, especially knob and tube.

Old 01-29-07, 01:48 PM
The other set of wires means only that the wires continue elsewhere. What they are depends on what is at the other end and how they are wired.

They could be a switch loop. They could go on to another light or to a receptacle. Or they could be abandoned in another junction box or in a wall somewhere (which would not be good).

How were they connected to the old light? Doers this light have a switch? Is the switch a switch lop or does complete power go through the switch box?