Dead Wire Leads back to Breaker Box

Old 01-29-07, 08:00 PM
Dead Wire Leads back to Breaker Box

I purchased a new house about a year and a half ago... I had a new heater put in at that time and the ac unit was moved from the back of the house to the side - The contractor left the old wire cut and hanging.

I was cleaning up a bunch of things in the basement and I tracked the wire and cut it out from the other side of the basement (I had confirmed that there was no power in the wire). There was a cut wire right outside of the box so I assumed this was the cut wire from the heater.

I was surprised to find out that the old wire from the AC (that was in the back) went into the breaker box.

It appears that the guy that put the heater in never removed it from the breaker box. But there is no power in the wire.

Am I correct in thinking that he should have removed the wire from the breaker box? I took the cover off but can't tell because there are two wires going into the box in this hole.

Also, there are some wires that are taped up inside the box (on the side)

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Fred

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-07, 08:09 PM
The taped wires may have been your old circuit. That would be semi-safe, unless, of course, someone landed them back on a breaker and turned it back on. Yeah, he should have removed the wire out of the panel altogether, or else put the cut end in a junction box under the house and capped the wires for future use.

Old 01-29-07, 08:15 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply!!! I was thinking that the taped wires were for this - I don't like messing around inside the breaker box. Too many wires in there. I was thinking that maybe he did not take the wire out because it would leave a space as there are currently 2 wires entering the breaker box in that hole.

I am going to have a friend who is more knowledgable with electricity come take a look - I would really like to take that wire out of there but will use a junction box if I can't.

Thanks again!!!!

Fred