Wiring electric motor.

Old 01-30-07, 11:28 AM
Question Wiring electric motor.

I have an old Craftsman electric motor (1/2 HP, 1750 rpm, 115 volt, 60 cycle, 8.2 ampere) that has the wiring disconnected. The wiring plate in the motor has two (2) terminals, one marked #2 and the other marked #4. There are five (5) wires: two small gauge yellow wires, and three larger gauge wires (a green, ared and a black). How do I connect the wires.
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 03:54 PM
Well, the green's the ground, that's for sure! Are the wires themselves marked w/ any numbers? I think the 2 yellows are for speed control, leaving the black and red as your power feed....if that's the case, black would probably be hot, and red would be neutral, although if you had them reversed, the motor would just run backwards. However, a little more info. would be helpful.....I wouldn't want you to hook it up wrong and smoke the motor. Find a serial number and/or look for numbers on the wires <if any> as the nameplate seems to be indicating which 2 are the power feed.

Last edited by joshmack; 01-30-07 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-30-07, 06:32 PM
I'll almost bet money that joshmack is incorrect with his assessmenat of what wire goes where.

Bubbly, I'll bet this is a capacitor-start motor isn't it?

Old 01-30-07, 06:37 PM
I am with furd regards joshmack is probably wrong.

Josh, you need to back off giving advice till you know a bit more yourself. It is not ok to make random assumptions and post them on the boards. People could get hurt following miss advice.

Bubbly, what has terminals, and what has wires??? are you saying that the motor has both? Please provide more info.

Old 01-30-07, 06:46 PM
For one, I gave no advice stating that the person should hook up the motor. If you read the post, I told him I wouldn't want him to hook it up w/out knowing exactly what I was looking at. I would never advise somebody to do that.

Old 01-30-07, 07:02 PM
Sorry if I was too harsh Josh.

I was caught in the line about "green is obviously ground"

When we leave the building wiring and get into the wires inside the motor or appliance, Green Is Not Always Ground.

Making that assumption can get someone hurt.

Never make assumptions with regard to electrical wiring. Get the book, call the mfg, ask someone, do anything you must. Never Guess.

Old 01-31-07, 03:09 AM
You're right, and I was assuming too much.....I'll take that to heart.

Old 01-31-07, 06:10 AM
Question Additional info

what has terminals, and what has wires??? are you saying that the motor has both? Please provide more info.

When you remove the wiring face plate on the motor you are looking at a terminal plate having two threaded connections, one marked with #2 and one marked #4. The name plate on the motor indicates that you can reverse rotation by reversing the two small gauge yellow wires.

I am assuming that one yellow wire goes to terminal #2 and the other to terminal #4. Once this is done I am left with three larger gauge wires (one red, one black, one green). I assume that two of these go to one terminal and the remaining one to the other terminal. If so which wires go to which terminal?

Bob

Old 02-01-07, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Bubbly View Post
I have an old Craftsman electric motor (1/2 HP, 1750 rpm, 115 volt, 60 cycle, 8.2 ampere) that has the wiring disconnected. The wiring plate in the motor has two (2) terminals, one marked #2 and the other marked #4. There are five (5) wires: two small gauge yellow wires, and three larger gauge wires (a green, ared and a black). How do I connect the wires.
Bob
Typically the motor has a forward reverse configuration with that many wires and it should have a diagram on the name plate for connection. If it doesn't say 120/240, then it is probably reversable. If it does not have a name plate diagram, look up the manufacturer and see if they post the wiring diagram. Without a wiring diagram, I would not experiment with it.