Receptacle box depth

Old 01-31-07, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receptacle box depth

I am preparing to sheetrock my garage and would like to add two receptacles(GFI Protected) before I do it. I am not exactly sure how far the new work boxes are to stick out from the studs. I am assuming the thickness of the sheetrock so it is flush with the sheetrock. Is this right? Also, is it easy to locate the box after the sheetrock is up to cut it in? It shouldn't be hard considering I am only adding two and will know where they are, but I was wondering when an electrician wires a house how the sheetrock guys find all the receptacles and switches?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-07, 05:02 AM
The thickness of the sheetrock determines how far forward the boxes need to be. Some plastic boxes have indicators on the side to help you place them. The boxes do not have to be perfectly flush with the front edge of the sheetrock, but they can't be too far back , and too far forward is also a problem.

Cut out the boxes immediately after placing the piece of sheetrock. The professionals will use a roto-zip tool to cut out the boxes, but you can use anything you want, and you can even cut out the holes before you hang the board, although this is more work.

Yes, they miss boxes all the time.

Old 01-31-07, 06:55 AM
I recommend that you buy the boxes that can be adjusted for depth after installation. They cost a bit more, but they are more forgiving of mistakes. Ask for them at your home center.

A bit too deep is better than a bit too proud. But don't let them the front edge of the box be more than about 1/8" behind the surface of the drywall.

Old 01-31-07, 05:40 PM
And remember to shove the wires to the back of the box, and set your roto-zip blade shallow to avoid cutting a wire!