[email protected] service..

Old 01-31-07, 07:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
[email protected] service..

I'm putting in a 400amp meter panel right next to the transformer (so it will take no more than 10' of wire), then, a 200amp breaker panel in my garage, about 35' away from the panel, and another 200amp breaker panel in my home about 150' away... question, what size for each drop if using copper and what size for each drop if using aluminum? I think its cheaper to buy gold than copper right now, so I probably will use the aluminum, and its usually a size larger than the copper requirement?.. thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-07, 09:10 PM
ok i willing to step in on this part for " big " 400a service

from 400 amp meter socket [ make sure this have dual lug for it ] one for house and one for garage

this is pretty big project i dont know if you can tackle this big this rather much larger than 200 amp meter socket i will give you a very rough demison of 400a meter socket it will be roughly 14 or 16 inch wide and about 28 to 32 inch high depending on the manufacter you get.

is the meter socket is allready set up for 400 amp service now or planning to get it setup ?

normally this will be done by electrician to do this because there is a bit of codes to deal with it .

yes you can use the alum wire and it willbe automatically oversize one size bigger some case two size bigger depending on set up

i will like to give you more info but i going to wait until i get more details from you first

and the area you are from because each area have slighty diffrent code and POCO [ power company ] requirements

and this will be overhead or underground cable run ??

merci , marc

Old 02-01-07, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I put in a 400 amp service up in the San Juans, just can't remember what size wire I used, I know it was bigger than needed and copper.. back when it was more affordable.. I don't have any problem installing this thing, electric company will insist on making the transformer connection, which is ok, and L&I will send their Electrical inspector out to inspect the hook up in the panel, no problem there either, he'll just put the sticker on so the electric company can turn it on.. so.. what size for each leg of the run? garage and house.. thanks.. Washington state by the way...

Old 02-01-07, 07:28 PM
ahh ok i can see what you mean now .

For other DIY's plesase heed this warning as this is very serious stuff here and i am sticking to the code much as i can i will be using the NEC codes but for local code [ for that person is located ] i don't know so i will leave this to the local inspector for final detials

ok ,,

The main service enterince wire from transformer to meter socket if this is overhead then you will have to use either double 4/0 or 500KCM copper wire other wise alum verison is double 250KCM or 600 KCM [ please check with POCO first if they will go underground then they should provide their drop cable to the metering device ]

the meter base or meter socket please do check with POCO for the type of metering socket and set up [ some will used the bolt on some use clip on metering socket ]

the type of metering socket in 400 amp class they come in two common verison either full 400 amp commercal or 320 amp residental socket [ up to 400 amp max but rated for 320 contious useage and check on how hevey you will be using if POCO allow use the 320 socket it will be cheaper but i dont know about in your area so please check with them make sure to use the approved type to avoid this expensive mistake here]

you will need two ground rods also #2 bare stranded copper wire the ground rod have to be at least 6 feet [ 2 metres ] apart or more

ok the other thing it will come up with the design issuse here that you will end up putting two main breaker[s] one for garage and second one for house at the metering socket [ again with garage that is iffy so check with the inspector with this issuse again ]

now back to the metering socket again make sure you get double lug or one with two main breaker [ i know they are not cheap btw ] you will understand why i say double lug set up so you can split the wires to proper location

for garage you can use 4/0 alum or 3/0 copper but for house run it willbe wise to increase the size little more 250 KCM alum or 4/0 copper

this size of cables you may end up getting this in electrical supply centre

also 2 more ground rods at the house as well and for house panel box you may end up keep the netural and ground separted anyway again please check with your inspector before you starting this big project

the other thing with alum wire make sure you use the anti-oxation compound stuff to prevent corroison on alum wire when you hook up at the termails at both metering box and breaker box[s]

[red] a quick warning here this is very serious stuff here and have a inspector or electrician help you on this on [/red]

if more question please do post it here before you go on anymore

Merci , Marc