New Electrical panel recommendation

Old 02-01-07, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Electrical panel recommendation

The 100A service at Moms house needs replacing. She has the old "push button" breakers. What would be the advantage (if any) of using (Murray/GE/SquareD) comapared to one another?

I have SquareD QO in my home only because when i purchased it in '98, the 100A service was SquareD QO so when i upgraded to 200A, i stuck with the same brand so i was able to re-use some of the older breakers.

Basically, my question is......
Which brand would you recommend for a whole new service?

Murray
GE
Square D Homelite
Square D QO

What are the differences in each besides cost

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-07, 04:14 PM
This, to me, is purely preference. I've installed all of the brands, except the Sqare D Homeline. In the case of my last install <a subpanel for my own home>, I chose a GE panel, based mostly on price. Many electricians around here like Sqare D....the quality and longevity is good in my experience. Availability of breakers should be good for all brands mentioned. The top two I would suggest are the Sqare D QO and the GE THQL....you'll be able to find parts for them 50 years from now, because there are so darned many of them out there. The only issue I had with a GE residential panel was a 200 amp meter/panel combo. I installed a few years ago.....you start running out of wire space on the panel side in a hurry if you don't dress the circuits in very tightly. Other than that, GE seems <to me> to have a good reputation. Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-07, 05:02 PM
I don't think you can beat the quality of QO, but it's pricier than the others. Any of the them will give you good service.

The primary difference between Homeline and QO is the metal that the bus bars are made of.

Old 02-01-07, 07:47 PM
I been working on pretty large number of breaker boxes as the namebrand you mention they are good and no prb to find part if you need it

majorty of my work is SqD and CH products both been very good to me and i dont have any qurik with it.

sure SqD is somehow pricey but darn good product been around for many years

few other is good as well .

most are pretty reasonable with price

just want to give you a head up Murry is part of CH products now they brought out few years back

the diffrence between the Homeline and QO [ SqD ] is the buss bar and size of breaker as well the QO is 3/4 and Homeline is 1 inch breakers

Merci , Marc