Multiple Circuits in One Box

Old 02-01-07, 07:11 PM
Multiple Circuits in One Box

I was reviewing my wiring plans this evening and thought of something that I overlooked (I think). I'm afraid I already know the answer to this one and, if so, it is really going to screw up my wiring plans!

Am I correct in interpreting the NEC that more than one branch circuit is not allowed in the same box unless they can all be deenergized by one switch/ breaker or connected breakers?

My plans were to install three-way switch for downstairs den (downstairs lighting circuit), three-way switch for stairway light (upstairs lighting ckt), and duplex receptacle (downstairs receptacle ckt) in one three-gang box.

I can understand why this would be a concern since you could deenergize one circuit and think you were fat, dumb and happy only to discover you were fat, very dumb, and not so happy! Boy, does that throw a big monkey wrench into all of my plans!!!

Any suggestions other than installing three single-gang boxes side-by-side?

JimC

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-07, 07:28 PM
You said, "Am I correct in interpreting the NEC that more than one branch circuit is not allowed in the same box unless they can all be deenergized by one switch/ breaker or connected breakers?"

Answer: No, you are not correct. You can do it if you want.

Old 02-02-07, 08:29 AM
I did multiple circuits in switch boxes but used the Carlon Super Blue boxes and orange dividers (both available at Lowes) to separate the 120V breaker feeds. This can also be used to separate 120V and low voltage within the same box.

Old 02-02-07, 08:31 AM
formula,

The ground wires must all be connected together in the junction box, even when from different circuits. How do you accomplish this with the dividers in place?