Phone wiring Please Help Before I shock myself!

Old 02-01-07, 07:48 PM
Exclamation Phone wiring Please Help Before I shock myself!

I have a rotary phone from 1974 and it has 3 wires on the old phone line green, red, and yellow. I spliced a modern line on which only has green and red. The ringer does not work for some odd reason and I noticed that in the phone the yellow wire from the phone line goes to the hot wire for the ringer source. I have a feeling why the ringer isn't working in the first place, would it work or harm my phone if I put the black wire coming from the capcitor to the red wire going back to the phone jack? Say.. I put the black wire from the capictor screwed on the board with the Red wire coming in from the phone wire? Would that harm me or the phone? I think it would work since the new phone line only uses green and red. Any comments or clues?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-07, 08:06 PM
if you are going to try to use this phone to make calls it may not work.

several years ago most phone companies stopped using the "click" style switches. they are now digital and use the tones.

not sure how to make it ring to receive calls, but I remember that Radio Shack used to have a converter plug that would make it work.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-07, 08:07 PM
Lightbulb Hmmmm

Well the 3 prong plug isn't there anymore and yes I have pulse service the phone works great just doesn't ring.

Old 02-02-07, 03:02 AM
Group Moderator
If the phone was originally designed for use on a party line it will only work on a specific ring frequency. The frequency of the (AC) ring voltage on a private (single party) line may be different.

(In my area you still have to pay an extra monthly fee for touch tone (AT&T) so pulse does definitely work.)

Old 02-02-07, 05:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
to answer your question, the yellow wire in the phone goes with the green wire in the phone in order for it to ring... there is a capacitor in the network of the phone that is wired in series with the phone coil, one side of the cap goes to the yellow, other side to the coil of the ringer... then the other tap on the coild to usually a hook switch lead (to open and close ringer from the network when you are off hook), from there, back to the other side of the ringer coil... so.. the way they made a phone ring in the old days, was to hook the green and yellow together in the junction box from your phone if you paid for ringer service on that particular phone... they also had test units in the C.O. that could test lines to see how many ringer coils were on that line.. and either yank the protector (disc the line, or send a repairman out).. ours, if I remember back that far, was called "APRST" and spit IBM cards out everytime if found some peculiarity on the subs line... now, "if" it is a party line phone, it may not ring for you until you change out the actual ringer. there are still plenty of rotary phones people are using, so, I would imagine you could still use it on your line... question is, why?

Old 02-02-07, 05:33 AM
pulse works on all phone services so the rotary dial will still work ,

as others have mentioned its probably a party line ringer which wont ring on the frequency being provided by your local phone company

easiest fix if you want to keep using the phone is to pick up a separate ringer box that wires inline or use it as a non ringing extension

Old 02-02-07, 09:11 AM
Lightbulb Hmmmmm..

Yes, yes I know in fact its a party line phone ringing at a 56~ with a .08 MFD capacitor. But I really just wanted to know if it would hurt me or the phone if I fooled around with some of the wires in the network? Like I said the hot wire (the black wire coming from the capacitor) is hooked to the yellow wire that cannot be used on the modern line, so I was thinking if I could just stick that black hot wire on with the red wire thats coming in from the phone line to see if it would ring. Someone mentioned that I could take the black wire off from the yellow wire and just touch it to one of the wires on the board that I wanna try and if it rings then to screw it on there and if it doesn't then try the green wire, and they said there is a chance I could ground it out, so right now im kinda thinking about it. I want a rotary phone to work because I like how you have to dial them and I am doing my office into differnet ERA's. Thanks

Old 02-02-07, 10:13 AM
Exclamation OK.. Conclusion.

I tried it how I told you and does nothing and then someone told me that it doesn't work because its a 53 cycle and today's phones only use around 20 cycle. So I will have to buy a new ringer if I want one. Thanks all!

Old 02-03-07, 06:39 PM
if you had put that ringer lead on the green from the cord (in the phone), when you ring the number, the coil on the ringer should energize enough to tell that it would have worked if it were the right frequency.. usually get a dink... or you can feel the coil shake a little.. what type phone is it? on the bottom there should be a number.. the regular desk sets were 500 type... touch tones became 2500 sets... I'm surprised this isn't in the voice and data communications forum, rather than electrical... its a phone question..

Old 02-04-07, 06:19 AM
Be aware that if you were to get a new phone, you do not have to pay for tone dialing.. I've been not paying for tone for years.. I told the phone company I wanted a pulse line, I don't pay extra, and tone dialing works fine.. Just another cash cow for the phone companies.. It actually costs them money to provide pulse dialing..

Old 02-04-07, 08:16 AM
It actually costs them money to provide pulse dialing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

how so , all circuits are pulse evan if DTMF receivers are assigned

Old 02-04-07, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
It actually costs them money to provide pulse dialing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

how so , all circuits are pulse evan if DTMF receivers are assigned
It cant cost them too much. Every phone line I have ever run across will accept either pulse dialing or both. The only time I have seen a system accept pulse dial only, it was a third party system like those installed in an office building.

Old 02-04-07, 08:56 AM
At one time all they had was pulse dialing. Then they came out with tone dialing. They charged more for it, and initially every area did not have it. In the 1980's when third party long distance companies cane into being many only accepted tone dialing. Those who did not have tone telephones or who lived in ares where tines were not able to be used had to have tone generators that they connected to (or initially) held near the phone to generate the number they wanted to call.

The phone companies no longer charge for tone dialing. I do not know if pulse dialing is no longer supported everywhere, but my guess is that eventually the phone companies will try to do away with it.

Old 02-04-07, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Raycraft I must respectfully disagree that the phoneco does not charge for Touchtone. When Bell first offered it they wanted an extra $1.00/month. I didn't see the need. Even when I finally bought a computer I was still able to set the modem to pulse. Only when I bought a used Fax machine and couldn't figure out how to set it to pulse did I switch. (Took three reps to understand what I wanted and there was a $10 or $15 charge for the change.)

The price eventually dropped to $0.79/month and thanks to this thread I now see it is down to $0.18/month. Below is a portion of my online bill from AT&T.

" Monthly Service - Jan 5 thru Feb 4
1-01 Residence Line (Measured Rate) 5.55
1-02 Touchtone .18
Total Monthly Service ... "

Old 02-04-07, 05:42 PM
Okay, I suppose I should have said that MOST places in the country do not charge for thouch tone service.

Old 02-04-07, 06:09 PM
Or SOME places..
It was $6/month when I cancelled my TT service.. Don't know what it is now because I haven't paid for it in the last 12 years..

Old 02-05-07, 01:38 PM
would be really funny if the phone company took tone dial out of your class of service... I go back to the days of rotary switches in the C.O.... worked on many... steppers, cross-bar, electronic switching, and now digital... I've seen many types of Tone converters installed just to give tone service.. If these guys just knew half or even an 1/8th of the types of signalling that goes on in that C.O. it would blow them away..